Admissions & Registration FAQ

How do I get my CNA?

The Certified Nursing Assistant program is offered through our Economic and Workforce Development Division. For more information click here or contact Economic and Workforce Development at 336.761.1002.

Can you send me a class schedule?

Our schedules are only available electronically. We no longer print copies. To access the schedule, click here.

I took the SAT or ACT. Will I still need to take the placement test?

It depends. If you have taken the tests within the past 5 years, the scores can be used to waive placement testing. If a student scores a 480 Verbal/Critical Reading (SAT) or a 21 (Composite on the ACT), the Sentence Skill and Reading placement tests are waived. A 500 Math (SAT) or 21 Composite (ACT) will waive the arithmetic and/or Algebra tests. After you submit your application, the Admissions Office will notify you of any testing needs.

I just want to take a class or two and don’t intend to get a degree, diploma or certificate at this time. What should I do?

In this case, you would indicate that you wish to be considered as a Special Credit student on the application. Special Credit means that you are not working towards a degree, diploma or certificate at this time. Should that change in the future, any applicable classes you take will still be counted towards graduation. Special Credit students are not required to submit official transcripts, however you are required to meet any course prerequisite before being eligible to register. If you are meeting the prerequisite by previous college coursework, you must bring at least an unofficial copy of your college transcript with you to registration. Please note that Special Credit students are not eligible for financial aid.

I am a former student and wish to return. Do I have to reapply to the college?

If you have not attended classes in the past year (3 semesters including summer), you must submit a new application and be approved for admission before you will be eligible to register. If you have been a student in the past 5 years, your previously submitted transcripts should still be on file. If you have been away for more than 5 years, you may be required to resubmit your transcripts.

When does registration start, and when can I register for my classes?

Information about registration can be found:

In addition, continuing students receive emails from the Registrar with registration information via their college email address.  Students can also check with their advisor or the Deans’ offices for this information.

How do I know if I qualify for in-state tuition?

The state legislature requires that a student be domicile in the state of North Carolina for 12 months prior to enrollment to qualify for in-state tuition.  For further information regarding residency, click here or contact the Admissions Office at 336.734.7556 or

Do I have to schedule an appointment to take the placement tests?

No. Accuplacer testing is done on in Room 133 of Allman Center on the Main Campus on a walk-in basis. Check-in hours are: 8:00 am-5:30 pm Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am- 12:00 pm Friday, and 8:30 am- 11:00 am on the 1stand 3rd Saturdays of each month. Testing is also available at other Forsyth Tech locations by appointment. For more information and to download an Accuplacer placement test study guide, click here.

How do I apply for Financial Aid and/or Scholarships?

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1 of the current year you intend to enroll in college. For complete information on Financial Aid and Scholarships, click here.

Can I attend if I did not graduate from high school?

To enroll in a degree, diploma or certificate program, you must be a high school graduate or have earned a GED. You cannot be admitted to a curriculum program until you have earned your Adult High School diploma or GED. Both programs are available at our West Campus on Bolton Street. Please contact them directly at 761-1002 for further information or visit their webpage: GED/Adult High School. If you are 18 years of age or older, you may take classes as a special credit student until the diploma or GED has been earned.  Please note that only high school graduates or GED completers are eligible for financial aid.

Does Forsyth Tech keep a waiting list for the Allied Health and Nursing programs?

NO! Our Allied Health and Nursing programs are selective enrollment and use a competitive ranking process. If an applicant is not accepted into their program of choice, they must reapply if they wish to be considered for the next year’s program. The Medical Assisting and Massage Therapy programs accept students on a first completed, first accepted basis.

Where do I go to get involved in campus activities or run for an SGA office?

The Student Activities Center housed on Main Campus in the Technology Building, Room 124 can fill you in on the many clubs and activities at Forsyth Tech.  The telephone number is 336.734.7326

Can I attend if earned only a certificate of completion?

If you earned the certificate of completion in North Carolina, new legislation has been enacted whereby you can contact your high school to determine if you are now eligible to be considered for a high school diploma rather than the certificate of completion.  If you are eligible for the diploma, the school system will indicate that on a new transcript or in letter form and send that information to the Admissions Office.  If you are not eligible for the diploma or received your certificate of completion in another state, you must earn your GED prior to being accepted into a curriculum program at Forsyth Tech.  If you are 18 years of age or older, you may take classes as a special credit student until the diploma or GED has been earned. Please note: only high school graduates or GED completers are eligible for financial aid.

I completed my high school diploma online. Is it acceptable?

Forsyth Tech will only recognize high school diplomas from regionally accredited schools, private high schools, or home schools registered with the state of North Carolina. Students not completing such a program must complete the GED or attain an Adult High School diploma through an accredited institution.  Please contact the Admissions Office at 336.734.7556 or if you have questions regarding Forsyth Tech accepting your online high school diploma.

Does Forsyth Tech charge an application fee?

No, application to the college is free of charge.

Where do I go if I need help in getting my veteran’s benefits?

Student Financial Services on Main Campus in the Allman Center, Room 261.  The phone number is 336.734.7235.

What is the CPT?

CPT stands for computerized placement test.  All credit track associate degree programs and most diploma degree programs require that you take a placement test – SAT, ACT, ASSET, Compass or ACCUPLACER / Computerized Placement Tests (CPTs). Forsyth Tech only administers the ACCUPLACER / Computerized Placement Tests (CPTs). You may download an ACCUPLACER / CPTs study guide here. The study guide thoroughly explains the test.

Note: ACCUPLACER / CPTs are not required if credit has been earned for college level English and math.

More information is available on the Placement Tests webpage.

Where do I have my transcripts sent?

Transcripts should be mailed to the Admissions Office, Forsyth Technical Community College, 2100 Silas Creek Parkway, Winston-Salem, NC 27103.

I didn’t take SAT’s or ACT’s in high school. Can I still be admitted?

Yes, these tests are not required for admission. If you do not have the SAT/ACT or previous college level English and/or Math classes, you will probably need to take the Accuplacer placement tests before you will be able to register for classes. After you submit your application, the Admissions Office will notify you of any testing needs.  Please be sure that you take any required tests prior to registration. For more information on the Accuplacer placement tests, click here.

How do I prepare for the ACCUPLACER / Computerized Placement Tests (CPTs)?

You may download an ACCUPLACER / CPTs study guide here. The study guide thoroughly explains the test.

How do I get admitted to an Allied Health or Nursing program?

All of the Allied Health and Nursing programs are considered selective enrollment. This means that there are more qualified applicants than space available. Because of this, these programs have specific minimum requirements that must be completed before an applicant will be considered for admission. These programs are highly competitive and have specific deadlines. Most will require you to attend a Mandatory Information Session. For more information, click here.

How can I check the status of my application?

Applications are typically processed within 2 weeks of being received. Please allow for that time before contacting the Admissions Office. Click here to see a list of the Admissions Staff. Please note that each of the Admissions Processors is assigned files by alphabet. Find the processor responsible for your name and contact them via e-mail or by telephone.

How do I drop/add a class during registration?

Depending upon the timeframe, students can drop/add classes online through Techlink using WebAdvisor.  They can also contact their advisor, or come to designated areas during Walk-In and Late Registration times.

Can I begin taking classes if my transcripts have not been received?

To be approved for admission to a degree, diploma or certificate program and be eligible to register, you must submit your transcripts. All students are required to meet pre-requisites for any class they wish to take. It’s always a good idea to bring at least an unofficial copy of coursework taken at another college or grade reports with you when you come to register.

Where can I register for next semester?

During designated registration periods, students can register in various locations on campus depending upon their program of study, and can also register online through Techlink using WebAdvisor.

Can I apply to more than one selective enrollment program at a time?

No, you are only permitted to apply to one program at a time. If you are considering more than one program, we encourage you to speak with the department chairs so you can make the most informed decision as to your course of study.

If I fill out the FAFSA for financial aid, do I still need to fill out an application for admissions?


Can you send me a catalog?

Our catalogs are only available electronically. We no longer print copies. To access the catalog, click here.

Can I be admitted into Forsyth Tech with a GED?


I’m having technical difficulties with the online application. Who can help me?

The online application is maintained through CFNC. Please contact them at 1-866-866-CFNC (1-866-866-2362).