Apply For A Credit Program

Please Read This Before You Click Below And Start Your Application.

All applicants are now required to complete documentation for the North Carolina Residency Determination Service. Residency determination establishes if students should have in-state or out-of-state tuition. Tips to Complete the Forms

You must complete the NC Residency Determination forms before completing a college application through CFNC. BOTH sets of documents MUST be complete before moving forward. Give yourself at least an hour (maybe more) to finish.

Take your time and complete the application carefully. Incomplete applications will be returned to you, delaying your admission.

You must apply for a specific program. If you have not yet chosen a program to enter, you can see all of our available programs listed A to Z here. Keep in mind that you can change your program later if you choose.

If you are interested in entering any of the Health Technologies programs, including Nursing, there are additional requirements. You will find those requirements here.

Apply for Degree Program


Additional Information


Admission requires a transcript from a high school, an adult high school diploma program, or a high school equivalent (HSE) certificate program.

Official high school or adult high school transcripts must be sent to Forsyth Tech directly from the high school or adult high school attended, or submitted electronically from an approved provider. The transcript request form is available online or in the Admissions Office.

The three nationally-recognized assessments used to obtain a state-issued High School Equivalency credential in North Carolina are GED®, HiSET® and TASC. Applicants who have earned the HSE certificate in North Carolina are requested to have a transcript certifying high school equivalency sent to the Admissions Office. Request the form from the State HSE Administrator here.

Students who have completed an associate’s or bachelor’s degree may substitute their official college transcript showing the graduation date in place of their high school transcript for certain programs. Students desiring transfer credit must request official transcripts from post-secondary institutions they have attended before credit can be evaluated. (Scroll down for more information on transferring credits.)


Placement Tests

Placement testing is an integral part of the admissions process. All applicants to degree, diploma, and certain certificate programs must take a placement examination (assessment) or qualify for a waiver as explained in the detailed information link. The assessment is not an entrance examination. The purpose of placement examinations is to determine the individual’s skill level and readiness for college-level courses. Find detailed information on placement testing here.


Transferring Credits

If you have attended other post-secondary institutions, you may transfer credits in courses comparable in content, objective, quality and credit hours to those offered at Forsyth Tech. When granting a transfer credit is in question, you may be asked for supporting documentation such as a course description or course syllabus.

For accepted students, Forsyth Tech evaluates transfer credit for equivalent courses with the grade of C or better from member institutions of the North Carolina Community College System and other post-secondary institutions accredited by a regional accrediting association. Courses taken on a pass/fail basis will be considered only after receiving (in writing) the requirements necessary to receive a passing grade.

The college transfer technician, director of records and the appropriate dean in consultation with the appropriate department chairperson will make the final decision on the transfer of credit for questionable courses. A written evaluation will be sent to you.

Credits transferred from other schools will be reflected on your transcripts as hours earned and will not be used in the computation of grade point averages. A grade of TR will be given to show that the course was transferred from another college.

Many courses with technical or skill content have time limitations on the acceptance of transfer credit. This includes credits earned at Forsyth Tech, as well as at other institutions. Generally, courses in this classification taken more than five years before entry into Forsyth Tech cannot be considered for transfer purposes. The department chairperson responsible for the program of study determines the specific time limitations.

Inquiries concerning transfer credits granted must be made to the college transfer technician in the Records Office during the student’s first semester of enrollment. If you are dissatisfied with the transfer credit granted, you should send a written request for re-evaluation to the Registrar. After consulting with the division dean, the Registrar will notify you of the final decision on transfer credit to be granted.