Placement Testing As Part Of The Admission Process
Forsyth Tech administers the NCDAP DRE (Developmental Reading and English) & DMA (Diagnostic Math Assessment). Placement testing is needed to determine your level of readiness for college academic work. The placement test might indicate that additional classes are required to prepare you for college level math and English courses. If you have completed college level math and/or English courses with a grade of “C” or higher or have valid SAT, ACT, standard ACCUPLACER, ASSET and COMPASS scores that are less than 5 years old, you may be able to waive placement testing. Scroll to the bottom of this screen to see if you are eligible to waive the placement test.
Preparing for the Placement Test
It is important to do your best on the placement test. Here are some tips and things to consider in preparing for placement testing:
- You are advised to study for the placement test just as you would for any other important exam.
- Testing should then be completed as soon as possible in order to avoid unnecessary delays in the registration process. Students who wait until the last minute to take the placement test often experience difficulty enrolling in the classes they need.
- The multiple choice questions are untimed, and can be taken in sections, on multiple days, or all at once.
- The average time to complete the entire exam is between 4-5 ½ hours.
- Breaks are permitted and a calculator is built into the test on questions where one is permitted. No hand-held calculators are allowed.
- The placement test includes a 300 – 600 word essay that has a maximum time limit of 2 hours, though most will finish in less than 1 hour.
To assist you in preparing for the exam, the following resources are available:
- NCDAP Study Guide Use this for the DMA and DRE multiple choice sections of the test.
- WritePlacer Sample Essay Guide Use this for the essay portion of the test.
- Free ACCUPLACER Web-Based Study App-NCDAP version
- YouTube.com (search for NCDAP)
- Khan Academy
- Test Prep
- Algebra Help
- Virtual Math Lab (offered by West Texas A&M University)
- Free MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses) through Wake Tech
The Testing Center
Allman Center, Room 133 (1st Floor), Main Campus
Walk-In Placement Testing Schedule
|Day||Check-in Times||Office Closes|
|Monday — Thursday||8 am – 5:30 pm||7 pm|
|Friday||8 am – Noon||12 pm|
|1st and 3rd Saturday of the month||8 am – 11:00 am||1 pm|
The essay portion of the test must be started 2 hours before the office closes.
Modified Saturday Placement Testing in July and August:
Saturday testing hours in will be altered in July and August, to accommodate fall registration. Please contact the Testing Center at 336.734.7324 for more details.
Testing Is Also Available At the Following Locations
- Mazie Woodruff Center (Appointment only: 336.734.7950)
- Grady Swisher Center (Appointment only: 336.734.7903)
- Stokes County Center (Appointment only: 336.593.5402, ext.1117 or ext.1104)
- Northwest Forsyth Center (Appointment only: 336.734.7050)
- Transportation Center (Appointment only: 336.757.3399)
Waiving the Placement Test
- An individual who has completed college level math and/or English courses with a grade of “C” or higher, may have their placement test waived following a review of their official transcripts.
- Recent NC high school graduates who have an unweighted G.P.A. of 2.6 or higher, AND who have completed a qualifying fourth level math course, may have their placement test waived following a review of their official high school transcript. Some qualifying fourth level math courses are:
- Advanced Functions and Modeling
- Analytical Geometry
- AP Statistics
- Discrete Mathematics
- Essentials for College Math (SREB-Math Ready)
- Integrated Mathematics IV
- International Baccalaureate Mathematics
- Probability & Statistics
Additionally, we will also accept valid SAT, ACT, standard ACCUPLACER, ASSET and COMPASS scores that are less than 5 years old. Qualifying scores for each exam are listed in the table below.
*Some programs will require the higher algebra score.