You are currently viewing the 2013 - 2014 Student Catalog. The current catalog is located here.
Interventional Cardiac and Vascular Technology
The Interventional Cardiac and Vascular Technology curriculum provides individuals with the knowledge and skills necessary to qualify as an entry-level Intervention Cardiac and Vascular Specialist.
Course work will include radiographic physics, radiation protection, patient care, ECG, pharmacology, anatomy, and pathology. Clinical rotations will provide experiences with advanced radiographic imaging equipment and medications used to visualize human vasculature and organs.
Graduates should qualify for eligibility to apply for and take the Registered Cardiovascular Intervention Technology (RCIS) exams given by the Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI).
The following represents one way in which the program of study can be completed. Students who aren’t able to follow this plan should consult their academic advisor to be sure that they take courses in the best order for their success.
NC CIP: 51.0901
POS Approved: Fall 2012
|Course||Course Title||HOURS PER WEEK|
|Class||Lab/ Shop||Clinical/ WBL||Credit|
|ICV 112||ICV Ionizing Radiation Effects||2||0||0||2|
|ICV 113||Inter Neuro Radiography||1||2||0||2|
|ICV 130||ICV Clinical Ed III||0||0||12||4|
|ICV 216||ICV Pharmacology||3||0||0||3|
|___ ___||English Option||3||0||0||3|
|ICV 111||ICV Electrocardiography||0||3||0||1|
|ICV 114||ICV Physics I||1||2||0||2|
|ICV 219||Vascular Physiology & Proc||3||0||0||3|
|ICV 220||ICV Clinical Ed IV||0||0||24||8|
|ICV 214||ICV Physics II||1||2||0||2|
|ICV 217||Inter Equip & Supplies||2||2||0||3|
|ICV 218||Cardiac Physiology & Proc||3||0||0||3|
|ICV 230||ICV Clinical Ed V||0||0||24||8|
|ICV 261||ICV Cardiac Exam Prep||1||0||0||1|
Total Credit Hours: 48
- : Comprehensive Articulation Agreement - This course is recommended for students transferring to a four-year university.
- : Local Requirement
- : Instructional Service Agreement
- : Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC)
Additional admissions requirements:
- Advanced placement into the Interventional Cardiac and Vascular Technology program is available to graduates of:
- Radiography program accredited by the Joint Review committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
- Respiratory Therapy program accredited by Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
- Associate Degree Nursing program accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission
- Licensed Paramedics who have already completed an Associate Degree
- Applicants who have successfully completed a Bachelor of Science degree in Excercise Physiology
- Other accrediting agencies will need to be evaluated by the ICVT Program Coordinator
- Applicants must have a 2.8 GPA, equivalent college transfer credit, and/or complete the necessary general education course work required for the diploma (including three hours English and three hours HUM from transfer credits)
- Applicants must pass their primary Registry/Licensure within 12-weeks of semester entry or be dropped from the program.
- Completion of program orientation requirements.
- Completion of the Forsyth Tech Student Medical Form.
- Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation certification at the healthcare provider level (BCLS).
- Grade of C or better is required in all related and program specific courses and is mandatory for admission and progression in the Interventional Cardiac and Vascular Technology program.
Senior students will be expected to take call every fourth weekend beginning the fall semester until graduation.
Withdrawal in any course with the ICV prefix will result in dismissal from the program. Readmission may be possible but requires reapplying and approval by the college.
This program admits students in the summer term only. The application deadline is March 29.
Gainful Employment Information