- This course is designed to prepare individuals to provide direct services to children with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs.) Care givers may work in educational, home-based, or community settings. Emphasis is on understanding ASDs, working with families of children with ASDs, managing challenging behaviors associated with ASDs, and evidence-based practices for targeting communication, play, self-help, and social skills of children with ASDs. Class will also cover consumer safety and rights, and ethical considerations. The course also includes a practicum component, which will be completed at an autism specialty school. Upon satisfactory completion of the course, the student will receive a certificate of completion, which should enhance employment opportunities in the field of autism treatment and education. NOTE: There is no national association for Autism workers
- Course is 78 hours including practicum hours in a local autism specialty school.
- Criminal Background Check/Drug Screening. (NOTE: Students for the Autism Paraprofessional course are required to have a background check only. No drug screening is required)
- High School Diploma/GED/High School Transcript OR College Diploma/College Transcript (showing graduation date)
- Picture ID and Social Security card with matching names
- Registration: $180.00
- Lab fee: $5.00
- Liability Insurance: $18.00 (nonrefundable, valid for one year)
- Parking permit: $25.00
- Total (approximate): $228.00 + Book
- Early Start Denver Model for young children with autism: Promoting language, learning, and engagement
- Applied Behavior Analysis for Teachers (9th Edition) (optional)
* all prices subject to change
Contact the bookstore (336.734.7754) for current textbook prices.
- Criminal Background Check (starts at $27.00) NOTE:
No drug screen is required for the Autism Paraprofessional course.
For more information, contact Judy Snowden at 336.734.7749 or email@example.com.