- This course is designed to prepare individuals to provide direct services to children with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs.) Care givers may work in educational, home-based, or community settings. Emphasis is on understanding ASDs, working with families of children with ASDs, managing challenging behaviors associated with ASDs, and evidence-based practices for targeting communication, play, self-help, and social skills of children with ASDs. Class will also cover consumer safety and rights, and ethical considerations. The course also includes a practicum component, which will be completed at an autism specialty school. Upon satisfactory completion of the course, the student will receive a certificate of completion, which should enhance employment opportunities in the field of autism treatment and education. NOTE: There is no national association for Autism workers
- Course is 50 hours and includes 20 practicum hours in a local autism specialty school.
- Currently enrolled curriculum students can receive course credit for EDU248 upon successful completion of this course. Contact Judy Snowden for details at 336.734.7749
- Students who successfully complete the course may qualify for a stipend which will reimburse them for expenses!
- Criminal Background Check/Drug Screening. (NOTE: Students for the Autism Paraprofessional course are required to have a background check only. No drug screening is required)
- High School Diploma/GED/High School Transcript OR College Diploma/College Transcript (showing graduation date)
- Picture ID and Social Security card with matching names
- Registration: $125.00
- Lab fee: $5.00
- Liability Insurance: $18.00 (nonrefundable, valid for one year)
- Parking permit: $25.00
- Total (approximate): $173.00 + Book
- Early Start Denver Model for Young Children with Autism: Promoting Language, Learning, and Engagement (students may borrow this text from ABC of NC Child Development Center or purchase online. Not available in Forsyth Tech bookstores)
- Applied Behavior Analysis for Teachers (9th Edition) (optional) Not available in Forsyth Tech bookstores. Available for online purchase only.
- Criminal Background Check (starts at $27.00) NOTE:
No drug screen is required for the Autism Paraprofessional course.
- ID Badge: $5.00 You must present your registration receipt and receipt for ID payment in order to get your ID badge.