EKG Cardiographic Technician
This course is designed to prepare the student to be a monitor technician and a certified EKG Technician. Anatomy and physiology of the heart, cardiac terminology, and practice skills are included. Stress testing and holter monitoring are also covered. A major portion of the course will focus on basic rhythm interpretation and 12-lead EKG skills. Graduates will be prepared to function as a monitor technician, stress test technician, EKG technician, and to put on holter monitors. Upon successful completion of the course the student will be eligible to take an EKG Technician national certification examination. A clinical component is included in this class.
- Previous direct patient care experience and/or education (i.e. CNAI, CNAII, Military Corpsman/Medic, EMT, CMA) within the last 2 years. Documentation of this education/experience must be presented to the Health Education Department (certificate of course completion, transcript, letter of recommendation, and/or other formal documentation to confirm experience).
- Successful completion of Math and Reading placement tests (or equivalent approved by Health Education department)
- High School Diploma/High School Transcript/GED OR College Diploma/College Transcript (showing graduation date)
- Receipts from Criminal Background Check/Drug Screening
- CPR AHA Healthcare Provider certification before clinical
- Immunization form (before clinicals). This form can be found on the FT website and also in the Health Education Department on West Campus
Must bring these documents to Health Education (Room 32) prior to registration
Estimated Cost (All prices subject to change):
- Registration: $180.00
- Lab fee: $5.00
- Liability Insurance: $18.00
- Parking Permit: $25.00
- Total (approximately): $228.00 + Books
Books: A Study Guide on Becoming an EKG Technician (Newberry-2014)
Call bookstore for accurate book price. West Campus: 336.734.7755 or
- Parking Permit ($25.00)
- Criminal Background Check/Drug Screen (starts at $70.00)
- National Certification Exam (National Healthcareer Association – $105.00)
For more information, contact Judy Snowden at 336.734.7749.