This training prepares the student to draw blood specimens from patients for the purpose of testing and analyzing blood. A phlebotomist’s job includes maintenance of equipment used in obtaining blood specimens, the use of appropriate communication skills when working with patients, the selection of venipuncture sites, the care of blood specimens and the entry of the testing process into the computer, as well as clerical duties associated with record keeping. This course consists of theory and clinical experiences which will be available in the hospital, outpatient clinics and central processing areas.
IMPORTANT!: Students will have to practice venipuncture which includes being stuck and sticking others.
Candidate must provide documentation of ONE of the following:
- Current Nursing Assistant I or Nursing Assistant II registry listing OR
- Certificate of completion from NC approved Nursing Assistant I or Nursing Assistant II Program (completed within the past 2 years), OR
- Direct patient care experience (i.e. Nurse, CMA, EMT, Med Office Assistant) with a letter of recommendation on letterhead from clinical professional who supervised this care (within the past 2 years)
Students must also meet the following requirements:
- Successful completion of Math and Reading placement tests (or approved equivalent)
- Picture ID and Social Security Card (with matching names)
- High school diploma/GED/transcript or College Diploma/transcript
- Receipts from Criminal Background Check/Drug Screening
- CPR (AHA) Healthcare Provider Certification and completed immunization form must be turned in on the first day of class. Immunization form can be found on the Forsyth Tech website and also in the Health Education Department on West Campus.
Estimated Cost (All prices subject to change):
|Liability Insurance||$||18.00||(Nonrefundable, valid for one year)|
|Total (approximately):||$||228.00||(for class registration only)|
McCall, Ruth and Tankersley, Phlebotomy Essentials, 5th Edition (textbook & workbook)
McCall, Ruth and Tankersley, Phlebotomy Exam Review, 4th Edition (OPTIONAL)
Call bookstore (336.734.7754) for accurate book price