This program is for persons who wish to be administrative assistants, secretaries and executive support staff and/or persons who wish to upgrade or enhance their skills for new roles and expanded responsibilities. Today’s administrative assistant requires a wide variety of skills such as project management, computer applications, organization, research, communication, customer service, electronic record keeping and event planning. To receive a certificate in this area, students must complete a series of four courses totaling 92 hours. Students will also have the opportunity to acquire a Career Readiness Certification (CRC) as part of the program.
Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers. This excludes legal, medical, and executive secretaries.
Secretary, Administrative Assistant, Clerk
North Carolina – $10 – $15 per hour
Upon completion students should be able to:
- Understand self and others based upon personality indicators.
- Communicate effectively in written or verbal form.
- Listen effectively.
- Use correct grammar and writing skills.
- Discuss and use effective time management and office etiquette skills.
- Identify why teamwork and collaboration are important in business operations.
- Discuss what is involved in delivering effective customer service.
- Identify the characteristics of a successful administrative assistant.
- Discuss the importance of a professional image and attire.
- Identify at least three job retention strategies.
Recommended Courses and Skills
English, math, organization, communication, accounting, records management, conflict management.
Helpful Personal Attributes
Speaking, active listening, time management, service orientation, writing.
Director, Occupational Education
Forsyth Technical Community College
2100 Silas Creek Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC 27103-5197