Professional Cake Decorating: Fondant
This course is all hands on as students learn the art of icing and decorating a cake with fondant icing. Students will learn how to make and roll fondant icing, cover a cake, smooth out icing, and cut and press flowers.
Prerequisite: Cake Decorating: Beginning and Intermediate
This course prepares students to work as professional cake decorator either commercially or privately. Individuals successfully completing the course should be able to:
- Make fondant icing from a recipe.
- Roll, cover and smooth out fondant icing.
- Cut out flowers, leaves and create borders using fondant icing.
- Decorate specialty cakes using fondant icing.
Employment opportunities for professional cake decorators may be found at a local bakery or in grocery stores, wholesale clubs or self-employment.
Entry Level Salary:
$7 per hour to $11 per hour.
- To teach students how to make fondant icing.
- To teach students how to roll, cover, and ice cakes using fondant icing
- To teach students how to smooth out an iced cake.
- To teach students how to add and mix colors in fondant icing.
- To teach students how to cut out decorative items and how to attach them to the cake.
Recommended Course Skills:
Persons must have fine motor skills and be able to work with their hands. Students must be able to read all handouts and follow directions when given.
Helpful Personal Attributes:
- Works with others, is a team player
- Friendly, giving good customer service
- Ability to problem solve
Sarah Griffenhagen, Coordinator Community Service Programs - firstname.lastname@example.org