Professional Cake Decorating: Beginning
This hands-on course will teach students to prepare, decorate and complete original cake designs. Students will develop skills in making flowers and leaves, writing, working with icing colors, decorating character and special occasion cakes and cupcakes. Students who successfully complete the course will leave with the skills necessary to launch a career in cake decorating. The Professional Cake Decorating class is part of the Institute for Hospitality Training and is offered in partnership with Goodwill Industries of Northwest North Carolina.
This course prepares students to work as a professional cake decorator either commercially or privately. Individuals successfully completing the course should be able to:
- Decorate specialty cakes
- Mix colors and icing
- Create flowers and make borders
Employment opportunities for professional cake decorators may be found at a local bakery, restaurant or in grocery stores and wholesale clubs.
Entry Level Salary:
$7 per hour to $11 per hour.
- To teach students basic techniques of cake decorating.
- To prepare students for work in a commercial bakery or restaurant.
- To teach students how to decorate specialty and holiday cakes.
- To teach students how to mix colors for icing.
Recommended Courses and Skills:
Persons must have good fine motor skills and be able to work with their hands. Students must be able to read all handouts and follow the directions given.
Helpful Personal Attributes:
- Works well with others, i.e. a team player
- Friendly, giving good customer service
- Ability to problem solve
- Self motivator
Sarah Griffenhagen, Coordiantor Community Service Programs firstname.lastname@example.org or 336.734.7722