Medical Unit Secretary
This course is designed to prepare an individual for employment as a medical unit secretary in either a hospital or a skilled nursing center.
The class includes 120-170 hours of classroom training and 50-100 hours of clinical experience at a local hospital. Course content includes medical and drug terminology, receptionist and telephone duties, hospital procedures, and a HRD component covering communication skills, team work and customer service.
- A High School diploma or GED is required to enroll in the course
- Criminal Background Check and Drug Screen
- Must be 18 years old
Medical unit secretaries are employed in hospitals and skilled nursing center. They must demonstrate skills in the following areas:
- Maintain hospital and patient records
- Maintain and order supplies
- Communicate necessary information to staff
- Respond to requests from staff, patients, and families
- Use good receptionist telephone etiquette
- Follow hospital procedures
- Appropriately assist with emergencies
Will be eligible for employment as a medical unit secretary in either a hospital or a skilled nursing center.
- Learn medical abbreviations for patient records.
- Learn to maintain hospital and patient records.
- Learn to maintain and order supplies.
- Appropriately respond to requests from staff, patients, and families
- Prepare students for work employment and work environment with instruction in communication skills, customer service and team work
Recommended Courses and Skills
Must have high school diploma or GED and basic computer skills. This certificate is required for employment as a Medical Unit Secretary in Forsyth County.
- Pleasant, professional, and articulate phone voice
- Ability to multi-task and handle many incoming calls or patients at once
- Efficient and accurate data-entry skills
- Computer literacy and multi-line phone experience. If no experience, the prospective receptionist must be able to learn it quickly.
- Basic knowledge such as basic math, alphabetical or numerical filing may also be required.
Helpful Personal Attributes
- Punctual and reliable
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary setting
West Campus Customer Service 336.761.1002