The Dorothy L. Lougee Nursing Assistant I Program
This state approved course introduces basic nursing skills required to provide personal care for patients, residents, the elderly or others requiring medical assistance in a healthcare setting. Through classroom instruction, laboratory work and clinical rotations, students are prepared to take the North Carolina Nurse Aide I Competency Examination. Successful completion is required for listing on the NC Nurse Aide 1 Registry. CPR certification is included in the class.
Note: Students must initiate a criminal background check and drug screen before registering for an NA1 class. If denied access to a clinical facility, the student will not be able to progress in the program due to the inability to meet clinical requirements and will be unable to continue in the program.
The Nursing Assistant Level 1 (NA1) plays an important role in patient care. As the front line care provider, NA1’s spend more time in direct contact with the patient than any other member of the health care team. Under supervision of registered and practical nurses, the Nursing Assistant provides basic nursing skills and personal care activities such as measuring vital signs and assisting patients with activities of daily living (feeding, bathing, moving, or grooming patients), and maintaining a safe environment for the resident/patient.
Careers Available (Employment Opportunities)
Nursing Assistants (NA1) are employed in Hospitals, Long Term Care Facilities, Clinics, Hospices, Rehabilitation Centers, Psychiatric Centers, and Home Care. There is a high demand for NA1s, especially in long term care and home health.
Entry-Level Salary (Low-High)
Earnings for NA1s vary depending on experience, shift and length of service. Entry level pay may begin at $8.70 for the new NA1, but range from $9.15 – $14.00 with experience and location.
Learning Objectives (Course Info)
The 177 hour NA1 program at Forsyth Tech is a state approved course which teaches basic nursing skills to the NA1 candidate. Such skills are required to provide personal care for patients, residents, the elderly and others requiring medical assistance in a healthcare setting. Emphasis is placed on patient safety and infection control, the aging process, communication, legal and ethical issues, patient rights, personal care, vital signs, elimination, nutrition, emergencies, rehabilitation, proper body mechanics and mental health. CPR certification sessions are included and supervised clinical experiences are conducted. Students are prepared to take the North Carolina Nurse Aide Competency Examination, a requirement for listing on the NC Nurse Aide I Registry.
Recommended Courses and Skills (Technical Skills)
Nursing Assistant 1 candidates must have a high school diploma or GED and successfully complete a placement test with reading at a 10th grade level and math at a 6th grade level. Completion of a state approved NA1 course is recommended. For State Certification, graduates must also pass a state examination.
Helpful Personal Attributes (Soft Skills)
Human resource skills are essential for work in health care. Such skills include professionalism, teamwork, customer services, and communication skills. They also need to be organized and self-starters. Safety is key and all precautions must be taken to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases.
- Criminal Background Check/Drug Screening (Must be completed at Investigative Associates)
- Successful completion – Math and Reading placement tests (or approved equivalent. Contact the Health Education Department for verification of equivalent scores/classes.)
- Attend Nursing Assistant I Orientation
- High School Diploma/GED/High School Transcript OR College Diploma/College Transcript (showing graduation date)
- Picture ID and Social Security card with matching names
- Nursing Assistant I Orientation West Campus
- Nursing Assistant I Orientation NWFC in King
- Registration: $180.00
- Lab fee: $5.00
- Liability Insurance: $18.00 (nonrefundable, valid for one year)
- Parking permit: $35.00
- CPR Card: $3.00
- Total (approximate): $241.00 + Books
- NC Nurse Aide I
Forsyth Tech Community College Nursing Assistant I Program Policy Book
- AHS BLS Provider Manual (CPR book)
- NC Nurse Aide I
* all prices subject to change
Contact the bookstore (336.734.7754) for current textbook prices.
- Criminal Background Check/Drug Screen (starts at $70.00)
- Stethoscope and blood pressure cuff (optional, but recommended)
- Career Readiness Certificate (CRC) ($30.00) – optional but recommended
- State Certification Exam ($101.00)
- For state certification information contact NACES at 888.282.6904 or visit www.pearsonvue.com (scroll to NC Nursing Assistant and Medication Aides)
Important Information Regarding Challengers:
Anyone who is not in the system to challenge the state test by February 29, 2016 will not be able to do so and must go through an approved NC training program. The only exceptions to this would be the following:
- Persons currently listed on any state’s Nurse Aide I registry
- U.S. military who have completed medical corpsman training
- Retired or non-practicing nurses
Program Contact: Customer Service at 336.734.7023