The Dorothy L. Lougee Nursing Assistant II Program
This course provides Basic Nursing Assistant 2 skills taught in accordance with the North Carolina Board of Nursing. Classroom, laboratory and clinical learning experiences are included.
Note: Students must initiate a criminal background check and drug screen before registering for an NA2 class. If denied access to a clinical facility, the student will not be able to progress in the program due to the inability to meet clinical requirements and will be unable to continue in the program.
The Nursing Assistant 2 performs nursing skills approved by the North Carolina Board of Nursing and under the supervision of licensed nurses. Emphasis is placed on infection control, including sterile technique. Tasks that may be delegated to the NA2 by the licensed nurse include: sterile technique, wound Irrigation and care, suctioning, tracheostomy care, fecal impaction removal, IV fluid assistive activities, ostomy care, urinary catheter insertion and removal, and tube feedings.
Careers Available (Employment Opportunities)
Nursing Assistant 2’s (NA2s) are employed in Hospitals, Long Term Care Facilities, Rehabilitation Centers, Clinics, Hospices, Psychiatric Centers, and Home Care. There is a need for NA2s, especially in hospitals.
Entry-Level Salary (Low-High)
Earnings for NA2s vary depending on experience, shift and length of service. Entry level pay may begin at $9. 50 for the new NA2, but range from $9.50 – $14.25 with experience and location.
Learning Objectives (Course Info)
The 160 hour NA2 program includes nursing skills taught in accordance with the North Carolina Board of Nursing. Classroom, laboratory, and clinical learning experiences are included. Skills include oxygen therapy, suctioning, sterile dressing changes, IV fluid assistive activities, ostomy care, gastrostomy/nasogastric feedings, and urinary catheterizations. Safety, infection control, and sterile procedures are emphasized. Upon successful course completion, the student is eligible to apply for listing as a Nurse Aide 2 by the NC Board of Nursing.
Recommended Courses and Skills (Technical Skills)
Nursing Assistant 2 candidates must have a high school diploma or GED and successfully complete a placement test with reading at a 10th grade level and math at a 6th grade level.
Candidates must be certified as NA1s and be listed on the NC Department of Health Service Regulation Nurse Aide Registry with no substantiated findings of abuse, neglect, or misappropriation of property.
Upon successful completion of the NA2 program, graduates must register with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.\
Helpful Personal Attributes (Soft Skills)
Human resource skills are essential for work in health care. Such skills include professionalism, teamwork, customer services, and communication skills. They also need to be organized and self-starters. Safety is key and all precautions must be taken to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases.
- Criminal Background Check/Drug Screening.
- Current NC NAI registry listing – first and last names must match Picture ID and Social Security Card
- Documentation of successful completion of a state approved NAI program
- Successful completion of Math and Reading placement tests (or approved equivalent. Contact the Health Education Department for verification of equivalent scores/classes.)
- High School Diploma/GED/High School Transcript OR College Diploma/College Transcript (showing graduation date)
- Picture ID and Social Security Card (with matching names)
- Students must bring ONE of the following:
- Certificate of completion or transcript from a NAI state approved program with a clinical component OR
- Letter of recommendation on letterhead signed by a supervising RN validating that the student worked as an NAI for a minimum of 3 months
- CPR (AHA) Healthcare Provider certification before clinical
- Immunization form (before clinicals). This form can be found on the FT website and also in the Health Education Department on West Campus.
- Registration: $180.00
- Lab Fee: $5.00
- Liability Insurance: $18.00 (nonrefundable, valid for one year)
- Parking Permit: $35.00
- Total (approximate): $238.00 + Books
- NC Nurse Aide II/NC Nurse Aide II 2007 Update
- Forsyth Tech Community College Nursing Assistant II Program Policy Book
* all prices subject to change
Contact the bookstore (336.734.7754) for current textbook prices.
- CPR registration/related costs (approximately $35.00 + book)
- Criminal Background Check/Drug Screen (starts at $70.00)
- Career Readiness Certificate (CRC) ($30.00) – optional but
- NC Board of Nursing Listing Fee ($24.00)
- For state listing information contact the NC Board of Nursing at 919.782.3211 or visit www.ncbon.com (click on the Licensure/Listing section and scroll to Nurse Aides)
Program Contact: Customer Service at 336.734.7023