Medical Office Administration
- Associate of Applied Science (AAS), Diploma, Certificate Program
- Diploma – Medical Transcription
- Certificates – Advanced Medical Office Coding, Medical Receptionist, Outpatient Billing
- AAS Day Program: 5 semesters, including 1 summer term
- AAS Evening Program: 8 semesters, including 2 summer terms
- Diploma and Evening Program: 5 semesters
- Certificate Program: 2 -3 semesters
Medical Office Administration professionals focus on office procedures in an outpatient medical facility. Administrative duties include handling telephone calls, maintaining medical records,
scheduling appointments, filing insurance forms, processing payroll, applying computer concepts to office practices, medical transcription, and ICD-9/CPT coding.
Employment opportunities are available in medical and dental offices, hospitals, insurance companies, laboratories, medical supply companies, and other health-care related organizations.
- $18,000 – 21,000/yr.
Course of Study
Course work includes medical terminology, information systems, office management, medical coding, billing and insurance, legal and ethical issues, and formatting and word processing.
Recommended Courses and Skills
Excellent written and oral communication skills. Business/Office high school courses a plus.
Helpful Personal Attributes
Accuracy (ability to pay close attention to detail), maturity (ability to respect patient confidentiality), good interpersonal skills (ability to deal with upset or angry patients), team player (ability to work with entire office staff to ensure patient care), high moral and ethical standards and professionalism (ability to project a positive self-image).
If you would like additional information about the Medical Office Administration Program, contact Cindy Nivens, Department Chair/Program Coordinator, at 336.757.3258 or firstname.lastname@example.org.