Respiratory Therapy – Program Detail
The Respiratory Therapy Program prepares students to be competent advanced-level respiratory therapists and helps fulfill the needs of the health care community.
The goal of the Forsyth Tech Respiratory Therapy Program is to prepare graduates to demonstrate competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists.
- Review existing clinical data, collect additional clinical data and recommend obtaining additional pertinent data.
- Evaluate all data to determine the appropriateness of the prescribed respiratory care plan, and participate in the development of the respiratory care plan.
- Perform diagnostic procedures, interpret results, determine pathophysiological state, and perform continuous quality improvement.
- Select, assemble, and check equipment for proper function, operation, and cleanliness.
- Maintain patient records and communicate relevant patient information to other members of the health care team.
- Conduct therapeutic procedures to maintain an airway, assure ventilation, remove bronchopulmonary secretions, and achieve tissue oxygenation.
- Make necessary modifications in therapeutic procedures and recommend respiratory care techniques in an emergency setting.
- Initiate, conduct, and/or modify respiratory care techniques in an emergency setting.
- Demonstrate personal behaviors consistent with professional and employer expectations.
- Apply basic scientific principles in learning new techniques and procedures.
- Recognize and act upon individual needs for continuing education as a function of growth and maintenance of professional competence.
- Assist the physician with special procedures.
- Apply Respiratory Care Protocols appropriately in the clinical settings.
- Perform community service education.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to all forms of diversity and multiculturalism including, but not limited to: age, gender and gender identity, race, color and ethnicity, nationality and national origin,
ancestry, religious affiliation and creed, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, political affiliation, physical and mental abilities, veteran and active armed service status, job status, job
responsibilities and experience, education and training.
- Initiate and conduct pulmonary rehabilitation and home care within the prescription.
- Promote human health and wellness within the community.
Forsyth Tech’s Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (www.coarc.com).
Specific outcome data for our program can be found at: http://www.coarc.com/47.html
- Barry W.Sigal, MD,FCCP
Program Medical Director
- Jean Middleswarth
Director of Health Services
- Karen Clement
Health Services Secretary
- John Sherman, MHS, BSRT, RRT-ACCS, RRT-NPS, RCP
- Cindy Wiggins, MS, RRT, RCP
- Daniel Williams, M.Ed., BSRT, RRT-ACCS, RRT-NPS, RCP