Respiratory Therapy – Program Detail
The Respiratory Therapy Program prepares students to be competent advanced-level respiratory therapists and helps fulfill the needs of the health care community.
- Review existing clinical data, collect additional clinical data and recommend obtaining additional pertinent data.
- Evaluate all data to determine the appropriateness of the prescribed respiratory care plan, and participate in the development of the respiratory care plan.
- Perform diagnostic procedures, interpret results, determine pathophysiological state, and perform continuous quality improvement.
- Select, assemble, and check equipment for proper function, operation, and cleanliness.
- Maintain patient records and communicate relevant patient information to other members of the health care team.
- Conduct therapeutic procedures to maintain an airway, assure ventilation, remove bronchopulmonary secretions, and achieve tissue oxygenation.
- Make necessary modifications in therapeutic procedures and recommend respiratory care techniques in an emergency setting.
- Initiate, conduct, and/or modify respiratory care techniques in an emergency setting.
- Demonstrate personal behaviors consistent with professional and employer expectations.
- Apply basic scientific principles in learning new techniques and procedures.
- Recognize and act upon individual needs for continuing education as a function of growth and maintenance of professional competence.
- Assist the physician with special procedures.
- Apply Respiratory Care Protocols appropriately in the clinical settings.
- Perform community service education.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to all forms of diversity and multiculturalism including, but not limited to: age, gender and gender identity, race, color and ethnicity, nationality and national origin,
ancestry, religious affiliation and creed, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, political affiliation, physical and mental abilities, veteran and active armed service status, job status, job
responsibilities and experience, education and training.
- Initiate and conduct pulmonary rehabilitation and home care within the prescription.
- Promote human health and wellness within the community.
Forsyth Tech’s Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (www.coarc.com).
- Barry W.Sigal, MD,FCCP
Program Medical Director
- Jean Middleswarth
Director of Health Services
- Karen Clement
Health Services Secretary
- John Sherman, BSRT, RRT-ACCS-NPS, RCP
- Cindy Wiggins, MS, RRT, RCP
- Daniel Williams, BSRT, RRT-NPS, RCP