College Meets “Exceptional” Standards
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (July 12, 2010) – The North Carolina Community College System has named Forsyth Technical Community College as one of only 11 schools out of the state’s 58 to have met 2010 standards for “Exceptional Institutional Performance.”
This rating indicates Forsyth Tech achieved or surpassed:
- All eight core performance standards (see link below for a list of these standards).
- The college performance rates of students who began in, rather than transferred into, the UNC System.
- A minimum 70 percent passing rate for students who sit for a licensure or certification exam for the first time.
The honor is the pinnacle of a Forsyth Tech effort established to meet this particular goal. Forsyth Tech President Dr. Gary Green called the designation “a direct reflection of our commitment to excellence and further illustrates this school’s outstanding educational value.”
He added, “The entire college has worked extremely hard to attain this designation. Given we achieved it during a period when we have been challenged by unprecedented enrollment growth makes the honor even more gratifying.”
In the System’s 2010 Critical Success Factors report, all 58 community colleges in the state:
- Exceeded the System’s goal of 65 percent or more of degree students completing their education, transferring to another higher education institution or returning to continue their education.
- Surpassed the standard of developmental course completers passing college-level English and math courses. Increasing this rate is critical to improving overall student success rates at community colleges.
- Posted a 90 percent or higher student satisfaction rating from both student completers and non-completers.
“At a time when NC’s community colleges are straining to meet the demands of record-breaking enrollment growth, these measures [listed immediately above] are an excellent indication that students continue to receive high-quality education and training,” said NC Community College System President, Dr. Scott Ralls. System evaluators said the results demonstrate success in student retention, student satisfaction and college-level course completion.
Forsyth Tech, the largest school to receive the “exceptional” rating in 2010, joins these 10 community colleges that also received this designation: Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, Blue Ridge Community College, Coastal Carolina Community College, Piedmont Community College, Randolph Community College, Rockingham Community College, Southwestern Community College, Surry Community College, Wayne Community College, and Western Piedmont Community College.
The full System report and core performance standards summary are available at the following links: