You are currently viewing the 2015 - 2016 Academic Catalog. The current catalog is located here
Polynomial/Quadratic Appl NEW VERSION
||Polynomial/Quadratic Appl NEW VERSION
|Prerequisites: (DMA 010, DMA 020, DMA 030, DMA 040 and DMA 050) or (DMA 040, DMA 050, and MAT 060) or (MAT 060 and MAT 070)
|Effective Term: Fall 2014
|This course provides a study of problems involving algebraic representations of quadratic equations. Topics include basic polynomial operations, factoring polynomials, and solving polynomial equations by means of factoring. Upon completion, students should be able to find algebraic solutions to contextual problems with quadratic applications.
·. Represent real-world applications as quadratic equations.
·. Apply exponent rules.
·. Solve application problems involving polynomial operations.
·. Apply the principles of factoring when solving problems.
·. Analyze the graph of a quadratic function.
·Student Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate the use of a problem solving strategy to include multiple representations of the situation, organization of the information, and algebraic representation of quadratic equations.
2. Add and subtract polynomials.
3. Apply exponent rules.
4. Multiply polynomials.
5. Divide a polynomial by a monomial.
6. Factor trinomials using multiple methods.
7. Factor the difference of two squares.
8. Solve quadratic applications using the zero product property and critique the reasonableness of solutions found.
9. Given the graph of a parabola, identify the vertex and x-intercepts.
2015FA - New Course Version (S24128)
- : Comprehensive Articulation Agreement - This course is recommended for students transferring to a four-year university.
- : Local Requirement
- : Instructional Service Agreement
- : Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC)
- : Global Distinction
- : Requisite(s)