Program of Study
The Health Information Technology curriculum provides individuals with the knowledge and skills to:
- Apply internal and external policies, regulations, and standards to ensure the accuracy and integrity of health data.
- Utilize established guidelines to ensure accurate healthcare billing and compliance in the assignment and evaluation of coded data.
- Apply policies and standards to the selection, implementation and use of health information software and systems.
- Apply legal and ethical concepts and principles to the practice of health information management.
- Utilize human resources management, finance management, and team leadership skills to effectively supervise and lead others.
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure organizational compliance with state and federal regulations.
After earning an Associate in Applied Science degree in Health Information Technology, students may be eligible to take the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) national certification exam. This exam is administered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- The Health Information Technology (HIT) program is offered online with the exception of the General Education courses and Professional Practice Experiences (PPE). PPE helps to theory into practice and will be made available with an affiliated health-related facility/agency in the student’s specific geographic region.
- Download Admissions Requirements (MAR) Packet
Employment opportunities include hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, nursing homes, health insurance organizations, outpatient clinics, physician’s offices, hospice, educational institutions and mental health facilities.
Careers in the Health Information Technology field include:
- Medical Coder/Auditor
- Quality Improvement Specialist
- Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist
- Release of Information Specialist
- HIPAA Compliance Officer
- Healthcare Data Analyst
- Data Quality Manager
- Healthcare Consultant
|Health Information Technology-Summer Entry||Associate in Applied Science||Day||A45360|
If you would like additional information about the Health Information Technology program, please contact Daveta Strayhorn at 336.734.7644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.