The Dorothy L. Lougee Nursing Assistant II Program
The Nursing Assistant II course at Forsyth Tech is a 160 hour state approved course which teaches basic nursing skills to the student in accordance with the North Carolina Board of Nursing. Tasks include oxygen therapy, removal of fecal impaction, sterile dressing changes, IV fluid assistive activities, ostomy care, gastrostomy feedings/nasogastric feedings, and catheterizations. Classroom, laboratory and clinical learning experiences are included. Upon successful completion of the course and skill/competency evaluation, the student is eligible to apply for listing as a Nurse Aide II by the NC Board of Nursing Nurse Aide Registry and will be considered as being a Certified Nursing Assistant II (CNA II).
Note: Students must initiate a criminal background check and drug screening before registering for the Nursing Assistant II course. If denied admission to a clinical facility, the student will not be able to progress in the program thus failing to meet clinical requirements and will be unable to continue in the program.
Contact Michael Glontz at 336-757-3701 or firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you qualify and to schedule your scholarship orientation. Or complete and submit the form below.
To be eligible to enroll, students must first complete CastleBranch requirements. CastleBranch is the approved vendor for background checks, drug screenings, and compliancy. The cost to purchase the package is $97 and is valid for 1 year from the date of purchase.
- Step 1: Complete background check and drug screening (instructions provided upon CastleBranch account setup)
- Click here to visit the CastleBranch website
- Purchase Package Code FG78: Background Check, Drug Test & Medical Document Manager
- If you have questions concerning your CastleBranch account setup or upload, please contact CastleBranch at 888.914.7279.
- Upload a copy of driver’s license or picture ID
- Copy of Math/Reading Placement Testing (or approved equivalent)
Test Reading Score Math Score TABE 10 6 ACCUPLACER Minimum 80 Minimum 55 SAT Minimum 480 Minimum 530 COMPASS Minimum 81 Minimum 45 ACT 1 Minimum 22 Minimum 22 ASSET Minimum 41 Minimum 41 College Courses ENG 1002
DRE 090 or Higher³
MAT 100 level2
MAT 040 or Higher2
MAT 040 or Higher3
NCDAP ENG 111
(80 or higher)
(80 or higher)
1Scores for the reading test are accepted, not for English.
2Grade of “C” or better
3Grade of “P” or “EP”
- Upload a copy of High School Diploma or transcript with graduation date.
- Upload current NC NAI registry listing – first & last names must match Picture ID and Social Security Card.
- Upload proof of required vaccinations (Flu shot is only required between August-March).
- CPR (AHA) Healthcare Provider certification, required before clinical.
- Current NC Nurse Aide I registry listing (must not be expired).
- Click here to visit the CastleBranch website
- Step 2: Contact the Health Education Department of Forsyth Tech to receive clearance for enrollment into the Nursing Assistant II course.
- Registration: $250.00 (Campus Access, Parking and Security (CAPS) Fee included $5.00)
Fees not included*
- Books (not included in registration fee) – Contact the bookstore (336.734.7754) for current textbook prices.
- NC Nurse Aide II/NC Nurse Aide II 2007 Update
- Forsyth Tech Community College Nursing Assistant II Program Policy Book
- Supply lab bag – check with bookstore for current pricing
- Uniform (Navy Blue) – available at the bookstore or can be purchase at a vendor of your choice
- CastleBranch background check and Drug Screen ($97.00) – See information under requirements above
- Stethoscope and blood pressure cuff (optional, but recommended)
- ID Badge: $5.00 (You must present your registration receipt and receipt for ID payment in order to get your ID badge)
- NC Board of Nursing: Nursing Assistant II listing fee ($24.00)
* All prices subject to change
The Nursing Assistant 2 performs nursing skills approved by the North Carolina Board of Nursing and under the supervision of licensed nurses. Emphasis is placed on infection control, including sterile technique. Tasks that may be delegated to the NA2 by the licensed nurse include: sterile technique, wound Irrigation and care, suctioning, tracheostomy care, fecal impaction removal, IV fluid assistive activities, ostomy care, urinary catheter insertion and removal, and tube feedings.
Careers Available (Employment Opportunities)
Nursing Assistant 2’s (NA2s) are employed in Hospitals, Long Term Care Facilities, Rehabilitation Centers, Clinics, Hospices, Psychiatric Centers, and Home Care. There is a need for NA2s, especially in hospitals.
Entry-Level Salary (Low-High)
Earnings for NA2s vary depending on experience, shift and length of service. Entry level pay may begin at $9. 50 for the new NA2, but range from $9.50 – $14.25 with experience and location.
Learning Objectives (Course Info)
The 160 hour NA2 program includes nursing skills taught in accordance with the North Carolina Board of Nursing. Classroom, laboratory, and clinical learning experiences are included. Skills include oxygen therapy, suctioning, sterile dressing changes, IV fluid assistive activities, ostomy care, gastrostomy/nasogastric feedings, and urinary catheterizations. Safety, infection control, and sterile procedures are emphasized. Upon successful course completion, the student is eligible to apply for listing as a Nurse Aide 2 by the NC Board of Nursing.
Recommended Courses and Skills (Technical Skills)
Nursing Assistant 2 candidates must have a high school diploma or GED and successfully complete a placement test with reading at a 10th grade level and math at a 6th grade level.
Candidates must be certified as NA1s and be listed on the NC Department of Health Service Regulation Nurse Aide Registry with no substantiated findings of abuse, neglect, or misappropriation of property.
Upon successful completion of the NA2 program, graduates must register with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
Helpful Personal Attributes (Soft Skills)
Human resource skills are essential for work in health care. Such skills include professionalism, teamwork, customer services, and communication skills. They also need to be organized and self-starters. Safety is key and all precautions must be taken to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases.
North Carolina Board of Nursing Disclosure
All Nurse Aide II Initial Listing applications must be submitted within 30 business days following completion of a Nurse Aide II program. If your application is not submitted within 30 business days, you will be required to retake the full Nurse Aide II program.
A Nurse Aide II listing is non-transferable (to or from North Carolina).
For more information visit: https://www.ncbon.com/licensure-listing-apply-nurse-aide-ii-initial-listing
Curriculum and Non-Credit Student Disclosures
Students attempting to enroll in a Health Technologies program at Forsyth Tech or other credit granting program at another institution must ensure to select a Health Education program that does not overlap with their existing schedule of courses. Furthermore, Forsyth Tech students must refer to their program’s Minimum Admission Review (MAR) packet to ensure all deadlines are properly verified and recorded
The Health Education Department of Forsyth Tech cannot be held responsible for students who fail to meet the Medical Training Certification requirement. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure all courses and certifications are taken within an appropriate time frame. If the Health Education Department does not have a Nursing Assistant I or II course available for enrollment, students will have to find one from the list of approved programs provided in the MAR packet.
Due to regulatory standards established by the NC Department of Health Service Regulation (DHSR) and the NC Board of Nursing, once a class is full no additional students will be allowed to enroll into it and a different class from the available listing options will need to be selected. If a class is canceled, every effort will be made to discuss with the student of alternate class dates and times.
Sponsored Student Disclosure
Students being sponsored by a third party and/or workforce partner can request to have a seat reserved for a class up to 2 weeks prior to the start date of the class, at which point the hold will be uplifted to allow other students to enroll and for the class to meet its maximum capacity. If a hold is uplifted, the student will be required to select an alternate date and time to begin the desired course of study. Extenuating circumstances will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Criminal Background & Drug Screening Disclosure
Healthcare facilities that provide clinical experiences for Forsyth Technical Community College programs require criminal background checks and drug screenings. The healthcare facility holds the right to deny a student admission into their facility based upon the information presented in the initial background check and drug screening process.
For more information please contact the Customer Service Department at 336.734.7023.
The EWD Health Education Department can be reached at 336.734.7734.