ESL Entrance Requirements (Spanish: Requisitos de Admisión)
ESL Spring classes will begin the week of July 15, 2019 (Spanish: Las clases del verano comenzarán el 15 de Julio de 2019).
Must be 16 years of age or older. Students 16 or 17 years old must complete a Forsyth Tech Minor Release Form. (Spanish: Sólo personas de 16 años o más. Personas de 16 y17 años deben llenar el formulario “Forsyth Tech Minor Release Form”).
Minor Release Form – GED/AHS PDF icon: Requires a notarized signature of parent or guardian. (Spanish: Formulario requiere la firma de un padre o representante legal).
All new students must attend a ONE-DAY 3-HOUR placement test/orientation session to join ESL classes (Spanish: Para comenzar las clases de inglés todos los estudiantes nuevos deben asistir a dos días de orientación obligatoria de dos horas cada una.).
Students must attend one Orientation. Sessions are held at West Campus, 1300 Bolton Street at the following dates and times:
Morning Sessions (9 am – 12 pm)
- Tuesday, July 2
- Tuesday, July 9
Evening Sessions (6 pm – 9 pm)
- Monday, July 1
- Thursday, July 11
General Information (Spanish: Información General)
- Bring a picture ID (Spanish: Traiga identificación con foto)
- Arrive early as spaces are limited. (Spanish: Llegue temprano. Los espacios son limitados)
- Please no children (Spanish: No se permiten niños)
At the Orientation session, students will do the following:
- Complete registration forms
- Take a placement test to find the best level for them
- Learn important information about the college, such as class locations, student resources, parking policies, emergencies, and meet the ESL staff.
Please allow three hours for Orientation.
Free ESL Classes
Time and Dates: Classes are held Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am-12:00 pm, 12:30-2:30 pm, and 6:00- 9:00 pm.
Locations: Classes are held on campus at the West Campus, Main Campus and the Transportation Center and off-campus at Centenary United Methodist Church in Winston-Salem and Holy Cross Catholic Church in Kernersville.
Levels: Classes are offered at six levels from low-beginner level 1 to advanced level 6.
Other Classes Offered:
- Citizenship: This class prepares students for the naturalization application and interview to become American citizens. Classes cover all portions of the exam including American civics, history, and government, as well as the English language skills needed for the interview.
- TOEFL Preparation Class: This class focuses on listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills, as well as strategies for test taking. Tuition is $200. Offered in Fall 2019.
For more information call 336.757.3719 or email one of our ESL team members:
ESL Coordinator: Claire Gimble firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment & Retention Specialist: Amparo Fajardo Gomez email@example.com (English & Spanish)
Recruitment & Retention Specialist : Jose Barrios firstname.lastname@example.org (English & Spanish)