ESL Entrance Requirements (Spanish: Requisitos de Admisión)
ESL Spring classes will begin the week of January 14, 2019 (Spanish: Las clases de la primavera comenzarán el 14 de enero de 2019).
Must be 16 years of age or older. Students 16 or 17 years old must complete a Forsyth Tech Minor Release Form. (Spanish: Sólo personas de 16 años o más. Personas de 16 y17 años deben llenar el formulario “Forsyth Tech Minor Release Form”).
Minor Release Form – GED/AHS PDF icon: Requires a notarized signature of parent or guardian. (Spanish: Formulario requiere la firma de un padre o representante legal).
All new students must attend a ONE-DAY 3-HOUR placement test/orientation session to join ESL classes (Spanish: Para comenzar las clases de inglés todos los estudiantes nuevos deben asistir a dos días de orientación obligatoria de dos horas cada una.).
Sessions are held at 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m on the following dates and times:
- Thursday, January 3, 2019
- Tuesday, January 8, 2019
- Thursday, January 10, 2019
General Information (Spanish: Infirmación General)
- Bring a picture ID with your name and address (Spanish: Traiga identificación con foto)
- No appointment is necessary (Spanish: No se necesita hacer cita)
- Please no children (Spanish: No se permiten niños)
At the Orientation session, students will do the following:
- complete registration forms
- take a placement test to find the best level for them
- learn important information about the college, such as class locations, student resources, parking policies, emergencies, and meet the ESL staff
Please allow three hours for Orientation.
Time and Dates: classes are held Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am-12:00 pm, 12:30-2:30 pm, and 6:00- 9:00 pm.
Locations: Classes are held on campus at the West Campus, Main Campus and the Transportation Center and off-campus at Centenary United Methodist Church in Winston-Salem and Holy Cross Catholic Church in Kernersville.
Levels: Classes are offered at six levels from low-beginner level 1 to advanced level 6.
Other Classes Offered:
- Citizenship: This class prepares students for the naturalization application and interview to become American citizens. Classes cover all portions of the exam including American civics, history, and government, as well as the English language skills needed for the interview.
- TOEFL Preparation Class: This class focuses on listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills, as well as strategies for test taking. There will be a tuition fee for this course.