Shugart Women’s Center Mission
The mission of the Shugart Women’s Center is to support and enhance the academic, professional, and personal development of all women and individuals that identify as women. The Shugart Women’s Center is committed to promoting equitable opportunities in an inclusive, safe, and supportive environment that values and celebrates the diversity of all women, regardless of race, color, ethnic origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
The Shugart Women’s Center will serve as the campus leader around issues impacting women on campus and in the community. Through advocacy, leadership development and intentional co-curricular programming we will work to eliminate societal barriers that impact the academic, professional and personal success of all women.
- Information and education surrounding issues affecting women and their families
- Individual counseling, support, and community referrals
- Sessions and workshops with a goal to bring women together, celebrate what it means to be a woman, and bring awareness to specific causes.
- Topics include: breast cancer, domestic violence, sexual assault, relationships, parenting
Women and Children’s Boutique
- Provides gently used free women’s and children’s clothing
- Baby supplies such as diapers and wipes
- Open boutique available the last Wednesday of each month 9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm. Other days and times available by appointment.
Additionally, students can use the center to study, relax or access computers. We also provide a safe, comfortable space for nursing or pumping.
In December 1998, Forsyth Tech opened the first women’s resource center on a North Carolina community college campus. Gloria Sexton, the former director, initiated the idea. It was then shared with former president of Forsyth Tech, Dr. Desna Wallin. Room 206 of Hauser Hall was allocated and renovated for the center. In August 2002, the Forsyth Technical community College Foundation received an endowment from Mr. Grover F. Shugart, CEO of Shugart Enterprises, LLC, for the college’s Women’s Resource Center. The center was then renamed Shugart Women’s Center at Forsyth Tech. Although the center assist female students, it is open to all enrolled students of Forsyth as well as faculty and staff.
Shugart Women’s Center
Hauser Hall, Room 206
2100 Silas Creek Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC 27103-5197
Hours: Monday-Thursday 8-5pm
Friday 8 – 3 pm