ESL Entrance Requirements (Spanish: Requisitos de Admisión)
ESL Spring classes will begin January 22, 2018 (Spanish: Las clases de la primavera comenzarán el 22 de enero de 2018).
- Must be 16 years of age or older. If 16 or 17 years old – must complete a Forsyth Tech Minor Release Form. (Spanish: Sólo personas de 16 años o más. Personas de 16 y17 años deben llenar el formulario “Forsyth Tech Minor Release Form”).
- Minor Release Form – GED/AHS : Requires a notarized signature of parent or guardian. (Spanish: Formulario requiere la firma de un padre o representante legal).
- All new students must attend a two-day two-hour orientation session to join ESL classes (Spanish: Para comenzar las clases de inglés todos los estudiantes nuevos deben asistir a dos días de orientación obligatoria de dos horas cada una.).
Location (Spanish: Lugar): West Campus- 1300 Bolton Street, Winston Salem, NC 27103
Dates (Spanish: Fechas): Choose an orientation time and date – Please be on time. (Spanish: Por favor escoja una fecha y hora para la Orientación. Es importante que llegue 15 minutos antes de la hora establecida).
Two-Day Sessions at 9:00 a.m. or 6:00 p.m.
- March 21 & 22, 2018
- April 4 & 5, 2018
- April 11 & 12, 2018
- April 18 & 19, 2018
General Information (Spanish: Infirmación General)
- Bring picture ID (Spanish: Traiga identificación con foto)
- No appointment is necessary (Spanish: No se necesita hacer cita)
- No children (Spanish: No se permiten niños)
Time and Dates: classes are held from 9:00 am until 12:00 pm, 12:15-3:15 pm, and 6:00- 9:00 pm from Mondays through Thursdays. Saturday classes also available.
Locations: Classes are held on campus (West Campus, Transportation Center, Robert L. Strickland Center, and Mazie Woodruff Center) and off campus (Centenary United Methodist Church, Oakland Baptist Church, and Winston Salem Forsyth County Elementary School)
Levels: Classes are offered from literacy level 1 to advanced level 6. Students are required to be tested before placement every semester. Placement is based on reading and listening skills using TABE-E. Specialty classes in listening and reading are also offered.
Other Classes Offered:
- Citizenship: this class prepares to undertake the process to become an American citizen. Classes cover all portions of the exam including civics, reading, and writing. See more information here.
- TOEFL Preparation Class: This class focuses on listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills, as well as strategies for test taking. See more information here.