Middle College Program
Forsyth Middle College is a collaborative program between the Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools and Forsyth Technical Community College. It is a unique magnet high school for juniors and seniors who are mature, self-motivated and eager to learn in a college setting. It offers an academically challenging curriculum in a small, nurturing environment and is the high school for students who are ready for what comes after high school.
Middle College Mission Statement
Middle College offers an innovative learning environment with a focus on individual educational choices. It is designed for students who desire a flexible schedule and are interested in starting their college experience while in high school. Students may choose to take Forsyth Tech college classes while enrolled in Middle College High School, and most students graduate with transferable college credits along with their high school diploma.
How Middle College Is Different from a Traditional High School
- Attend high school on the campus of Forsyth Tech
- Classes meet from 11 AM until 3:30 PM with a 3-period day
- Students take a minimum of 1 high school class a day
- Small classes and more individualized instruction
- Students may take college courses, earning college credits tuition-free.
Middle College encourages its students to become involved; it has a student government association, a school newspaper, and a prom. Students can participate in sports at their residential high schools or choose to participate in intramural sports at Forsyth Tech.
Forsyth Middle College Requirements
- WSFCS high school student 15 years old or older
- Students are admitted at the beginning of each semester (August and January)
- Students should have successfully completed the following courses before enrolling: English 1 & 2, Algebra I & Geometry (Math I & Math II), Life Skills, Health, PE 1 & 2, and preferably Biology and World History
- Electives, if needed, may be taken as dual enrollment courses through Forsyth Tech or by other acceptable arrangements.
- Students must submit an application and a transcript from current school.
- Because Middle College is located on Forsyth tech campus, students must follow Forsyth Tech Student Code of Conduct and policies as well as WSFCS Student Code of conduct and policies as well.
- Lunch is NOT provided. Students may purchase food through campus grill.
How to Apply For Forsyth Middle College
- Complete a Forsyth Middle College Application. Applications can be submitted electronically through Middle College webpage under “Quick Links”
- Have your high school to submit a current transcript.
- After initial screening, student and parent/guardian may be invited to an interview. Interview typically lasts 45 minutes to 1 hour. Student will be scheduled to take college placement test during this time.
- Letter of acceptance or letter of nonadmission will be mailed after review of application, interview, and test results.
- If accepted, students must commit to staying at Middle College for a minimum for one semester before consideration to transfer to another school.
For more information, contact:
Forsyth Middle College – 336.734.7437