Employability Skills Presentation & Grooming Tips
Employability Skills Presentations
Employability Skills presentations are conducted for Forsyth Tech classes and other on- and off-campus groups. These presentations include information on:
- Resumes That Lead to Interviews
- Cover and Follow-up Letters: Writing Techniques That Bring Results
- How to Handle Tough Questions and Other Interview Strategies
- Tips on Completing Employment Applications
For information on attending an Employability Skills presentation, call 336.734.7518.
Grooming Tips – How To Dress For An Interview
What Your Clothes Say about You….
- In an interview your attire plays a supporting role.
- Appropriate attire supports your image as a person who takes the interview process seriously and understands the nature of the industry in which you are trying to become employed.
- Your attire should be noticed as being appropriate and well fitting, but it should not take center stage.
- Even if you are aware that employees of an organization dress casually on the job, dress up for the interview unless you are specifically told otherwise by the employer.
- Be mindful that your conduct, your interpersonal skills and your ability to articulate intelligent and well-thought-out responses to questions are the most important elements.
Interview Attire Guidelines for Men & Women
- Suit: A two-piece matched suit is always the best and safest choice.
- Conservative colors: Dark grey, navy, and black are safe. Solids or very subtle weave patterns or plaids are safest.
- Cost/Quality: Invest in quality that will look appropriate during your first two or three years on the job.
- Even if you will wear jeans on the job, or the work environment is outdoors, wearing a suit to the interview shows you take the interview seriously. Dressing well is a compliment to the person(s) with whom you meet.
Men’s Interview Attire
- Suit (solid color-navy, black or dark grey)
- Long sleeve shirts, even in summer (white or coordinate with suit)
- Dark socks, conservative leather shoes
- Neatly trimmed facial hair and nails
- Little or no jewelry-wear a conservative watch. Remove earring(s).
Women’s Interview Attire
- Suit (navy, black or dark grey)
- The suit skirt should be long enough so you can sit down comfortably
- Coordinate blouse
- Conservative shoes
- Limited jewelry – wear conservative watch, simple earrings-studs
- Neutral pantyhose
- Shoes – choose a closed-toe pump
- Light makeup and perfume
- Neatly manicured clean nails
Grooming Tips for Everyone
- Hair: Should be clean and neat.
- Shoes: Should be in polished condition. Make sure heels are not worn.
- Details: No missing buttons, no lint; and don’t forget to remove external tags and tacking stitches from new clothes.
- Hands: Clean fingernails.
- Fit: Clothes should be clean, neatly pressed, and fit properly.
- Smell: Perfume or cologne should be used sparingly or not at all. No odors in clothes. Don’t smell like smoke!
- Padfolios: Preferred over a bulky briefcase. A small briefcase is also appropriate. But if you have no reason to carry a briefcase, don’t.
- Book Bag: Leave it at home.
You can also download a pdf of our Career Services Career Guide , which contains information on preparing for interviews.