An introduction to Medical Unit Secretary will be held on Monday, April 11, 2022 from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm. This introduction will cover the new compliance package. It will be held at the West Campus, 1300 Bolton Street, Room 20. Contact the Student Care Center at 336-734-7023 to register for this orientation.
Medical Unit Secretary
This course is designed to prepare an individual for employment as a medical unit secretary in either a hospital or a skilled nursing center.
The class includes 120-130 hours of classroom training and 50-100 hours of clinical experience at a local hospital. Course content includes medical and drug terminology, receptionist and telephone duties, hospital procedures, and a HRD component covering communication skills, team work and customer service.
For more information please contact the Customer Service Department at 336.734.7023.
To see if you qualify for a scholarship, please contact Michael Glontz at 336-757-3701 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students must complete a compliance package. Please contact Sherri Weddle Bowen at email@example.com to receive information about the compliance package. This compliance package is a requirement before registering for the class.
- Students will need to be able to upload the following information into the compliance package:
- Driver’s License or Picture ID (Student must be 18 years of age)
- High School Diploma or transcript showing your graduation date
- Math/Reading Placement Testing (or approved equivalent)
- CPR (American Health Association) Healthcare Provider Certification (BLS)
- Proof of the following vaccinations:
- COVID-19 Vaccination (requirement of Clinical Sites)
- MMR (two doses of each)
- Varicella (two doses)
- Hepatitis B (three doses)
- Tdap (within the past 10 years)
- Tuberculosis or TB (two-step skin test within a year of each other or blood draw)
- Influenza (between August and March)
(All prices subject to change)
- Registration $273.00 (Campus Access, Parking and Security [CAPS} Fees included)
- ID Badge: $5.00
- Compliance Package $115.00
- Book (required):
- Brooks, LaFleur, Health Unit Coordinating, 7th Edition
Contact the bookstore at 336-734-7100 for current textbook prices.
Medical unit secretaries are employed in hospitals and skilled nursing center. They must demonstrate skills in the following areas:
- Maintain hospital and patient records
- Maintain and order supplies
- Communicate necessary information to staff
- Respond to requests from staff, patients, and families
- Use good receptionist telephone etiquette
- Follow hospital procedures
- Appropriately assist with emergencies
Will be eligible for employment as a medical unit secretary in either a hospital or a skilled nursing center.
- Learn medical abbreviations for patient records.
- Learn to maintain hospital and patient records.
- Learn to maintain and order supplies.
- Appropriately respond to requests from staff, patients, and families
- Prepare students for work employment and work environment with instruction in communication skills, customer service and team work
Recommended Courses and Skills
Must have basic computer skills.
- Pleasant, professional, and articulate phone voice
- Ability to multi-task and handle many incoming calls or patients at once
- Efficient and accurate data-entry skills
- Computer literacy and multi-line phone experience. If no experience, the prospective receptionist must be able to learn it quickly.
- Basic knowledge such as basic math, alphabetical or numerical filing may also be required.
Helpful Personal Attributes
- Punctual and reliable
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary setting
The Medical Unit Secretary assistant can be reached at 336.734.7790.