This training prepares the student to draw blood specimens from patients for the purpose of testing and analyzing blood. A phlebotomist’s job includes maintenance of equipment used in obtaining blood specimens, the use of appropriate communication skills when working with patients, the selection of venipuncture sites, the care of blood specimens and the entry of the testing process into the computer, as well as clerical duties associated with record keeping. This course consists of theory and clinical experiences which will be available in the hospital, outpatient clinics and central processing areas.
Important!: Students will have to practice venipuncture which includes being stuck and sticking others.
Contact Michael Glontz at 336-757-3701 or email@example.com to see if you qualify and to schedule your scholarship orientation. Or complete and submit the form below.
Hybrid Phlebotomy Class
Candidate must provide documentation of one of the following:
- Current Nursing Assistant I or Nursing Assistant II registry listing or
- Certificate of completion from NC approved Nursing Assistant I or Nursing Assistant II Program (completed within the past 2 years), or
- Direct patient care experience (i.e. Nurse, CMA, EMT, Med Office Assistant) with a letter of recommendation on letterhead from clinical professional who supervised this care (within the past 2 years)
Students must also meet the following requirements:
- Complete Background check and drug screen (instructions provided upon CastleBranch account setup)
- Visit the CastleBranch website
- Purchase Package Code FG79: Background Check, Drug Test & Medical Document Manager
- If you have questions concerning your CastleBranch account setup or upload, please contact CastleBranch at 888.914.7279. How to Order
- Upload a copy of driver’s license or picture ID
- Copy of Math/Reading Placement Testing (or approved equivalent)
- Upload a copy of High School Diploma or transcript with graduation date
- Upload CPR (AHA) Healthcare Provider Certification
- Upload proof of required vaccinations (Flu shot is only required between August-March)
- Students must upload ONE of the following:
- Current Nursing Assistant I or Nursing Assistant II Registry Listing OR
- Certificate of completion or transcript from a NAI state approved program with a clinical component OR
- Letter of recommendation on letterhead signed by a supervising RN validating that the student worked as an NAI for a minimum of 3 months
- CPR (AHA) Healthcare Provider Certification
- Immunization Form
- Immunization Record (Section A and Section C required with physician signature)
- Please make sure all of the above items have been completed prior to contacting the Health Education Department for registration approval.
(All prices subject to change)
- Registration: $270.00 (Campus Access, Parking and Security (CAPS) Fee included $5.00)
- ID Badge: $5.00 (You must present your registration receipt and receipt for ID payment in order to get your ID badge)
- McCall, Ruth and Tankersley, Phlebotomy Essentials, 5th Edition (textbook & workbook)
- McCall, Ruth and Tankersley, Phlebotomy Exam Review, 4th Edition (optional)
* all prices subject to change
Contact the bookstore (336.734.7754) for current textbook prices.
- CPR (AHA) (approximately $35.00 + book)
- CastleBranch background check and Drug Screen ($97.00) – See information under requirements above
- Uniform and shoes
- National Certification Exam ($135.00)
For more information please contact the Customer Service Department at 336.734.7023.
The EWD Health Education Department can be reached at 336.734.7734.