The Admissions/Records Office is located in the Robert L. Strickland Center. We assist students with registration questions and dropping classes once the semester begins. We also process enrollment verifications, address or name updates through WebAdvisor, and online withdrawal forms, and answer any questions you might have about graduation. The Admissions/Records Office certifies students have fulfilled graduation requirements, diploma pick up, assists students through Commencement, and instructions how to use WebAdvisor for students, and program evaluations.

Page Index

Transcript Requests

Official Transcripts

Official Forsyth Tech transcripts may be requested online through the National Student Clearinghouse using any major credit card. There is a $3.00 transcript fee and $2.50 processing fee per copy; additional fees apply for electronic and mail requests.

  • Secure electronic PDF (fastest delivery), US mail, and pickup delivery options are available.
  • Electronic delivery is not available to students who attended Forsyth Tech before 1994.
  • The Hold for Pickup delivery option is not available when the college is closed.
  • Order updates are emailed from the Clearinghouse. Students can also opt for text message updates and track their order online. For pick-up requests, students will receive an email from records@forsythtech.edu once the transcript is available for pickup.

Unofficial Transcripts

Unofficial transcripts are available to students and alumni free of charge in myForsythTech (if currently enrolled) and by request at any Student Care Team information desk. Valid photo identification (driver license, state ID, etc.) is required when requesting an unofficial transcript.

  • To access your unofficial transcript in myForsythTech:
    • Login and go to the Academics tab (graduation cap located on the left-hand side of the screen)
    • Click Unofficial Transcript

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can request an official transcript?

Only the student can request the release of their official transcript. To ensure confidentiality and to comply with federal regulations, a signed authorization is required to issue transcripts.

Can I request a transcript if I have an outstanding financial obligation to the college or other hold on my student record?

If you submit a request for official transcripts and you have any outstanding obligations/holds, your request will be processed once the hold is satisfied.

What type of transcript can I request through the National Student Clearinghouse?

You may a request a transcript that includes the college credit classes and continuing education classes you completed at Forsyth Tech. For this transcript, select College CE/CU Classes for the transcript type.


If you earned your high school diploma from Forsyth Tech Adult High School, you may request an Adult High School transcript that includes your adult high school classes, college credit classes, and continuing education courses. For this transcript, select FT Adult High School for the transcript type.

How long does it take to receive the transcript?

Transcript requests are processed in the order that they are received. Select electronic for fastest delivery

  • Electronic delivery: Transcripts are typically sent within 30 minutes.
  • US Mail: Mailed transcripts are processed in 1-2 business days and mailed via the US Postal Service with first-class postage. Delivery time depends on where the transcript is being sent and the timeliness of the US Postal Service and typically takes 5-7 business days, but students should allow up to 20 business days for delivery and receipt of their transcript.
  • Pick up: Pickup requests are not provided on demand. Please allow up to 3 business days to pick up an official transcript from the Admissions and Records Office located in the Robert L Strickland building. Students will receive an email from records@forsythtech.edu once the transcript is available for pickup. Valid photo identification (driver license, state ID, etc.) is required to pick up the transcript.

Can someone pick up the transcript on my behalf?

Yes. The student must submit a Pick Up Permission Form to the Admissions and Records Office. Valid photo identification (driver license, state ID, etc.) is required to pick up the transcript.

GED Confirmation/Score Requests

If you completed a GED program and need confirmation or score information, contact Diploma Sender at www.diplomasender.com.

Adult High School from Forsyth Tech (AHS)

If you attended Forsyth Tech Adult High School, you may request an Adult High School transcript that includes your adult high school classes, college credit classes, and continuing education courses through the National Student Clearinghouse. For this transcript, select FT Adult High School for the transcript type.

Enrollment Verification

Enrollment verifications may be requested for insurance or other purposes using the National Student Clearinghouse. This free service is available 24 hours for your convenience.

For Further Information

Email the Admissions and Records Office at records@forstythtech.edu or call the Student Care Team at 336.723.0371 for assistance.

Online Withdrawal Form

  1. Online  Course Withdrawal Form
  2. Login with your TechID & Password
  3. Select the course(s) to drop; Submit
  4. Confirm the course(s) to drop
  5. Print Confirmation Page (Optional)
  6. Read Student Confirmation Email

Questions? Please contact the Admissions/Records Office at 336.734.7556

Change of Program Form

For current students wishing to change their current program of study, please fill out the Change of Program form and email it to records@forsythtech.edu. The form must be fully completed and sent from your Forsyth Tech email address to be considered valid. The Change of Program request will be processed within 3 business days.


Audit: Audits are not covered by any type of financial aid. Students are responsible for all costs incurred with courses they chose to audit. Audits do not carry credit hours and are not counted as attempts or completions. The audit form must be completed prior to the beginning of the semester.

Process for Seniors (65 or older) who want to audit classes for free:

Form must be processed upon receipt which is different from the regular student population.

Senior student must register for course(s), complete the audit form, take audit form to Admissions, Admissions must verify age, signed form will be submitted.

Course Legend Information

This information is useful when planning your schedule to ensure you are on the desired campus and to prevent scheduling conflict.

Course Legend Information PDF icon

Transfer Credit/Evaluation

The Admissions/Records Office will evaluate transcripts from other regionally accredited post-secondary institutions for possible transfer credit after the Admissions Office has approved your application and received your official transcripts.

Transcripts must be received from institutions/colleges that are regionally accredited by one of the following:

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Northwest Commission of Colleges and Schools
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Determination of Course Equivalencies

Your evaluation will be completed based on your program of study.

In order to receive transfer credit for a course the course at your previous college must be comparable in content, objective, quality, and credit hours to those offered at Forsyth Tech.

You must have made a C or better in the course that is being considered for transfer credit. 

Credit for remedial courses are awarded based on college level English and/or Math courses taken at previous school.

When the granting of transfer credit is in question, the student may be asked for additional documentation such as course description or course syllabus.

Credits transferred from other institutions/colleges will be reflected on students’ transcripts as hours earned and will not be used in the computation of grade point average.  A grade of TR will be granted to show that the course was transferred from another college.

Credit Hour Equivalencies

Forsyth Tech is on the semester system.  If the college you attended is/was on the quarter system.  Your credit hours for the class will have to be converted to semester hours using a conversion factor.

Example:  You have a 3 quarter hour class at your previous college.  To convert this course to semester hours the 3 hours is divided by 1.5 which equals 2.00 semester hours.  If this course is being considered for a 3 credit hour Forsyth Tech course we would not be able to transfer this course in because the hours would not match.

Transfer Credit Limit

To graduate from Forsyth Tech you are required to complete a minimum of 25 percent of the required course work at Forsyth Tech.

Transfer Credit Course Time Limitations

Transfer credit will not be awarded for computer related courses that are 10 years or older.

International Transcripts

Students that have attended a college or university outside of the United States must have their transcripts translated and evaluated by a NACES member (www.naces.org) before Forsyth Tech will review them for possible transfer credit.

Advanced Standing Credit

CLEP/DSST (DANTES)/Proficiency Exam/AP Credit

College Credit Through Advanced Standing


Forsyth Technical Community College has adopted an Automatic Graduation process which will not require students to submit an Intent to Graduate form. Graduation eligibility is determined by the Registrar’s office. Students will be granted the certificate(s) and/or diploma(s) applicable while pursuing their Associate degree.
Forsyth Technical Community College will process your graduation for you. To ensure you receive credit for all your hard work, when your program evaluation, which is accessible through my.forsythtech.edu, indicates that you have completed all degree requirements, your official Forsyth Technical Community College transcript will be updated to reflect that you have graduated.

If you are eligible for graduation through this automatic process, you will receive communication from the Admissions/Records Office notifying you of your graduation eligibility and informing you about the process to receive your degree and attend the graduation ceremony through your school-issued email. If you have questions about this process, please contact records@forsythtech.edu.

Forsyth Tech reserves the right to publish all graduate names in the commencement program.

Considering a different program?

To see how coursework would apply to a different program visit my.forsythtech.edu. Click on “progress” and then “view a new program”.  Keep in mind that transfer credits are only applicable to current program of study.

GPA Calculator

GPA Calculator

Replacement Degree

Replacement degrees are $10 for each degree needed for reprint. Payment taken in the Allman Building on the 2nd floor. Bring receipt to the Robert L. Strickland Center, Admissions/Records Office number 336.757.7556, for degree to be reprinted. Your degree will be ready for pick up in 48 business hours.

Academic Forgiveness

Academic Forgiveness: Students can apply for academic forgiveness by completing the required application.


FERPA Student Release Form

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 is a federal law that was enacted to protect the privacy of students and their educational records. The intent of the legislation is to protect the rights of students and to ensure the privacy and accuracy of “educational information.”

The Act provides for the right of eligible students to:

  • inspect and review their educational records
  • request an amendment to records that are believed to be inaccurate
  • require the school to obtain written consent prior to disclosure of personally identifiable information, except those items noted herein
  • file a complaint with the US Dept. of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with FERPA
  • You may also call 800-USA-LEARN (800.872.5327) or visit the FERPA website for more information.

Educational information refers to any record maintained by an educational institution including files, documents, and materials of any type which contain information directly related to students, and which allows a student to be identified. This privacy policy applies to all Forsyth Tech students, including those who attend class at one of our sites or locations and including distance students.

Students’ works found within Forsyth Tech’s learning management system are only available as appropriate to members of that class, instructors, and other staff who have a valid business (as defined by FERPA) need to access the course. Any access beyond this must be accompanied by written consent of the student.

Where an outside party, such as a vendor, receives student information (e.g., for grading, or access to online supplemental materials provided by a textbook publisher), the third party recipient will be bound by contract or privacy policy to preserve confidentiality.

What is not considered Educational Information?

  • Sole possession records or private notes held by educational personnel which are not accessible or released to other personnel
  • Law enforcement or campus security records which are solely for law enforcement purposes
  • Records related to individuals who are employed by the college
  • Records related to treatment provided by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist or other recognized professional
  • Records of the college which contain only information about an individual obtained after that person is no longer a student at the college (i.e., alumni records)

Release of Educational Record

Who Is An Eligible Student Under FERPA and How Are They Protected?

Students become “eligible” and are protected under FERPA when they begin attendance at a higher education institution or have been previously enrolled and have an education record, regardless of age or status in regard to parental dependency. An individual is a student if he/she is/has attended a class and their information is in the Student Information System (SIS). FERPA rights continue after the student leaves the college and are only terminated upon the death of the student.
A student does not need to be enrolled in a program of study to be an eligible student. If a student attends any kind of course or program offered by the college, he/she is then considered an eligible student.
Students who have applied, but not attended the institution, and deceased students are not protected under FERPA guidelines.

Student Rights Under FERPA

Eligible students have the right to inspect and review their educational records within 45 days of submitting a written request to Forsyth Technical Community College. The student must submit the request to the Director of Records and identify the records they wish to inspect. The Director of Records will then make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time/place where the records may be inspected. The college is not required to supply copies of records.

A student may also ask the college to amend a record believed to be inaccurate or misleading. If the school decides not to amend the record, the eligible student then has a right to a formal hearing. If, after the hearing, the school still chooses not to amend the record, the eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record commenting on the contested information. This does not include grade appeals.

A student may formally request that Forsyth Technical Community College not release Directory Information on their behalf by submitting a “FERPA Consent Form.” Once this request has been made, every reasonable effort will be made to safeguard the confidentiality of directory information.

Once an official request of non-disclosure has been made, the student will not be permitted to request an official or unofficial transcript online in the college’s student information system. The student will be required to submit written authorization, with proof of identity, to the Admissions/Records Office before a transcript will be released. Additionally, Forsyth Technical Community College staff will not respond to phone calls from potential employers to verify enrollment for students who have submitted an official request of non-disclosure without the student’s written authorization. This request will remain in effect until the student submits a written notice to remove the restriction.

Forsyth Technical Community College will make every reasonable effort to notify a student who is the subject of a subpoena or court order before complying.

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with FERPA.

Parent Rights Under FERPA

Parents lose their FERPA rights when their child starts attending or taking classes in any post-secondary institution or turns 18, whichever happens first.

Under 20 USC 1232g(d) all rights of parents (including the right to inspect educational records and to consent to the disclosure of personally identifiable information) transfers to the student at the earlier of: 1) the attainment of age 18, or 2) attendance at an “institution of postsecondary education.”

However, as stated later in this document, parents of a financially dependent student, defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), may obtain their dependent student’s records, after submitting proof of the student’s dependency (via most recent federal tax form). Requested information will not be released prior to the submission of this documentation.

Students can authorize the release of their education information to a parent, spouse, or other third party by completing “FERPA Authorization Form.”

Other than the financial dependent exception – which, again, requires documentation – the college may disclose non-directory information to a parent in these specific instances:

  • When the student is under the age of 21 and violates college rules regarding the use of alcohol or controlled substances.
  • In the case of a health or safety emergency, if the knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or others.

When is a student’s consent not required?

There are several exceptions to releasing information without a student’s written approval. Some examples are:

  • school officials with “legitimate educational interests” (i.e. dual enrollment high schools);
  • other schools to which a student is enrolled or seeking to transfer;
  • parents (or Custodial Parents) of a dependent student (defined by the IRS). A parent may obtain their dependent student’s records, but must submit proof of the student’s dependency (via most recent federal tax form) prior to receiving requested information. This information must be updated yearly for the parent to continue to have access to their dependent student’s records.
  • specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
  • appropriate parties in connection with financial aid;
  • organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
  • to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
  • to comply with the Solomon Amendment (An institution is obligated to release data included in the list of “student recruiting information,” which may or may not match Forsyth Tech’s FERPA directory information list.);
  • appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies;
  • State or local authorities auditing or evaluating federal or state supported education programs or enforcing federal laws which relate to those programs;
  • state and local authorities, within a juvenile system, pursuant to specific State law; and
  • parents of a student under the age of 21 who violates the college rules and/or federal/state or local laws regarding the use of alcohol or controlled substances.

Who Is Considered a “School Official”?

  • a person employed by or under contract with the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position;
  • a person serving on the Forsyth Technical Community College Board of Trustees;
  • a person or firm retained by the college to perform professional services, such as legal, accounting, or auditing services; or
  • a person or company under contract with the college to manage or perform operations functions, such as the college bookstore.

What is “Legitimate Educational Interest”?

  • Legitimate educational interest means a school official has a “need-to-know” regarding specific information in a student’s record. It refers to any authorized interest or activity undertaken in the name of the college.
  • Legitimate education interest exists when the school official is performing a task related to a student’s education or is providing a service or benefit to the student.
  • Legitimate education interest exists when the school official is maintaining safety and security on campus.
  • Access to an educational record must be necessary or appropriate to the operation of the college or to the proper performance of the educational mission of the college.

Disclosure of Education Information/Records

Directory Information

Disclosure means to permit access to or the release, transfer or other communication of personally identifiable information contained in education records by any means (oral, written, electronic, etc.), to any party except the party that provided or created the record.

Generally, the college must have written permission from a student before releasing information from the student’s record. One exception to this rule is categorized as “Directory Information.”

Directory Information is personally identifiable information which includes educational information/records that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of a student’s privacy. This information may be disclosed to a third party without a student’s written authorization. Although directory information may be disclosed, the college is in no way obligated to release such information.

Forsyth Technical Community College has classified the information listed below as Directory Information:

  • Student name
  • Dates of attendance
  • Number of credit hours enrolled
  • Major field of study

Please Note: The college reserves the right to publish the names of students who receive academic honors. Students have the option to opt on when completing their application for graduation.

Questions regarding student records should be directed to the Admissions/Records Office at the college.

For more information on FERPA, visit their website.