The Dorothy L. Lougee Nursing Assistant I Program
The Nursing Assistant I course at Forsyth Tech is a state approved course which teaches basic nursing skills to the student. Such skills are required to provide personal care for patients, residents, the elderly and others requiring medical assistance in a healthcare setting. Emphasis is placed on patient safety and infection control, the aging process, communication, legal and ethical issues, patient rights, personal care, vital signs, elimination, nutrition, emergencies, rehabilitation, proper body mechanics and mental health. CPR certification sessions are included and supervised clinical experiences are conducted. Students are prepared to take the North Carolina Nurse Aide Competency Examination, a requirement for listing on the NC Nurse Aide I Registry. Upon successful completion of the exam, the candidate will be considered a Certified Nursing Assistant I (CNA I). CPR certification is included in the class and required to take by all student even if they hold a current certification.
Contact Michael Glontz at 336-757-3701 or firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you qualify and to schedule your scholarship orientation. Or complete and submit the form below.
Virtual Nursing Assistant I Information Session
To be eligible to enroll, students must first complete CastleBranch requirements. CastleBranch is the approved vendor for background checks, drug screenings, and compliancy. The cost to purchase the package is $97 and is valid for 1 year from the date of purchase.
- Step 1: Complete background check and drug screening (instructions provided upon CastleBranch account setup)
- Click here to visit the CastleBranch website
- Purchase Package Code: FG77 Background Check, Drug Test & Medical Document Manager
- If you have questions concerning your CastleBranch account setup or upload, please contact CastleBranch at 888.914.7279.
- Upload a copy of driver’s license or picture ID
- Copy of Math/Reading Placement Testing (or approved equivalent)
Test Reading Score Math Score TABE 10 6 ACCUPLACER Minimum 80 Minimum 55 SAT Minimum 480 Minimum 530 COMPASS Minimum 81 Minimum 45 ACT 1 Minimum 22 Minimum 22 ASSET Minimum 41 Minimum 41 College Courses ENG 1002
DRE 090 or Higher³
MAT 100 level2
MAT 040 or Higher2
MAT 040 or Higher3
NCDAP ENG 111
(80 or higher)
(80 or higher)
1Scores for the reading test are accepted, not for English.
2Grade of “C” or better
3Grade of “P” or “EP”
TABE Testing Locations and Times (no cost to take test):
- West Campus Schedule: – testing is by appointment each Wednesday at 9:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., or 5:00 p.m. Students can call 336-734-7831 to make an appointment.
- Stokes County Center: 1165 Dodgetown Road, Walnut Cove, Call 336.593.5402 ext. 1703 or ext. 1101 for more information. By appointment only every Friday at 10am.
- Upload a copy of High School Diploma or transcript with graduation date.
- Download and complete Orientation Checklist, upload when completed.
- Acknowledge receipt of Orientation Handout.
- Upload proof of required vaccinations:
- Click here to visit the CastleBranch website
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) – Must provide:
- Documentation of 2 measles vaccines, 2 mumps vaccines and 1 rubella vaccine after 1st birthday OR
- Documentation of positive antibody to measles, mumps, and rubella OR
- If no documentation, 2 measles vaccines, 2 mumps vaccines and 1 rubella vaccine is required
Varicella (Chicken Pox) – Must provide:
- Documentation of 2 varicella vaccines if never had chicken pox OR
- Documentation from healthcare provider if history of chicken pox OR
- Documentation of varicella positive antibody if history of chicken pox
Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis – Must provide:
- Documentation of a Td or Tdap that is current within 10 years.
- Individuals should receive booster every 10 years.
TB Skin Test (TST) –Must provide:
- Documentation of receiving a TB skin test in the past 12 months. Only 1 additional skin test is required. OR
- Documentation of 2 step TST is required:
Step One: First test to be administered and results to be read within 48-72 hours. If positive, TB questionnaire and chest X-ray required. If result is negative, proceed to Step Two.
Step Two: Second test to be administered in 1 to 3 weeks after first test and be read within 48-72 hours. If second test is positive, TB questionnaire and chest X-ray required.
Influenza (Flu) Vaccine – Required for classes with a clinical component between the months of August – March (Flu Season).
Hepatitus B – Must provide:
- Documentation of 3 Hepatitis B vaccines OR
- Documentation of Hepatitis B antibody titer OR
- If no documentation, the Hepatitis B series is required
- Step 2: Contact the Health Education Department of Forsyth Tech to receive clearance for enrollment into the Nursing Assistant I course.
Registration: $240.00 (Campus Access, Parking and Security (CAPS) Fee included $5.00)
Fees not included*
- Books (not included in registration fee) – Contact the bookstore (336.734.7754) for current textbook prices.
- NC Nurse Aide I Modules
- Forsyth Tech Community College Nursing Assistant I Program Policy Book
- HS BLS Provider Manual (CPR book)
- Uniform (Navy Blue) – available at the bookstore or can be purchase at a vendor of your choice
- CastleBranch background check and Drug Screen ($97.00) – See information under requirements above
- Stethoscope and blood pressure cuff (optional, but recommended)
- ID Badge: $5.00 (You must present your registration receipt and receipt for ID payment in order to get your ID badge)
- Not Included: State Certification Exam ($140.00)
* All prices subject to change
The Nursing Assistant Level 1 (NA1) plays an important role in patient care. As the front line care provider, NA1’s spend more time in direct contact with the patient than any other member of the health care team. Under supervision of registered and practical nurses, the Nursing Assistant provides basic nursing skills and personal care activities such as measuring vital signs and assisting patients with activities of daily living (feeding, bathing, moving, or grooming patients), and maintaining a safe environment for the resident/patient.
Careers Available (Employment Opportunities)
Nursing Assistants (NA1) are employed in Hospitals, Long Term Care Facilities, Clinics, Hospices, Rehabilitation Centers, Psychiatric Centers, and Home Care. There is a high demand for NA1s, especially in long term care and home health.
Entry-Level Salary (Low-High)
Earnings for NA1s vary depending on experience, shift and length of service. Entry level pay may begin at $8.70 for the new NA1, but range from $9.15 – $14.00 with experience and location.
Recommended Courses and Skills (Technical Skills)
Nursing Assistant 1 candidates must have a high school diploma or GED and successfully complete a placement test with reading at a 10th grade level and math at a 6th grade level. Completion of a state approved NA1 course is recommended. For State Certification, graduates must also pass a state examination.
Helpful Personal Attributes (Soft Skills)
Human resource skills are essential for work in health care. Such skills include professionalism, teamwork, customer services, and communication skills. They also need to be organized and self-starters. Safety is key and all precautions must be taken to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases.
Pearson Vue® Testing Policies
- Proper Identification
Candidates are required to bring two (2) forms of current, not expired, official signature-bearing identification (one of which must be photo-bearing) to the test site. One form of identification must be a U.S. government-issued Social Security card, signed and non-laminated. Name and SSN must match what is on the registration record.
- Online Registration and Scheduling
All applications must be approved either by NC state approved training programs or by the NC Department of Health and Human Services PRIOR to completing the registration process. Your approval will be loaded into the Pearson Credential Manager system. Once you have been approved, you will receive an email notification directly to your Forsyth Tech student email address to complete the registration and scheduling process.
Note: You must make an on-line reservation at least 12 days prior to the test date. This policy cannot be challenged as it is enforced and regulated by Pearson Vue®.
For more information visit: http://www.pearsonvue.com/nc/nurseaides/
Curriculum and Non-Credit Student Disclosures
Students attempting to enroll in a Health Technologies program at Forsyth Tech or other credit granting program at another institution must ensure to select a Health Education program that does not overlap with their existing schedule of courses. Furthermore, Forsyth Tech students must refer to their program’s Minimum Admission Review (MAR) packet to ensure all deadlines are properly verified and recorded.
The Health Education Department of Forsyth Tech cannot be held responsible for students who fail to meet the Medical Training Certification requirement. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure all courses and certifications are taken within an appropriate time frame. If the Health Education Department does not have a Nursing Assistant I or II course available for enrollment, students will have to find one from the list of approved programs provided in the MAR packet.
Due to regulatory standards established by the NC Department of Health Service Regulation (DHSR) and the NC Board of Nursing, once a class is full no additional students will be allowed to enroll into it and a different class from the available listing options will need to be selected. If a class is cancelled, every effort will be made to discuss with the student of alternate class dates and times.
Sponsored Student Disclosure
Students being sponsored by a third party and/or workforce partner can request to have a seat reserved for a class up to 2 weeks prior to the start date of the class, at which point the hold will be uplifted to allow other students to enroll and for the class to meet its maximum capacity. If a hold is uplifted, the student will be required to select an alternate date and time to begin the desired course of study. Extenuating circumstances will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Criminal Background & Drug Screening Disclosure
Healthcare facilities that provide clinical experiences for Forsyth Technical Community College programs require criminal background checks and drug screenings. The healthcare facility holds the right to deny a student admission into their facility based upon the information presented in the initial background check and drug screening process.
For more information please contact the Customer Service Department at 336.734.7023.
The EWD Health Education Department can be reached at 336.734.7734.