General Admissions:

I just want to take a class or two and don’t intend to get a degree, diploma or certificate at this time. What should I do?

In this case, you would indicate that you wish to be considered as a Special Credit student on the application. Special Credit means that you are not working towards a degree, diploma or certificate at this time. Should that change in the future, any applicable classes you take will still be counted towards graduation. Special Credit students are not required to submit official transcripts, however, you are required to meet any course prerequisite before being eligible to register. If you are meeting the prerequisite by previous college coursework, you must bring at least an unofficial copy of your college transcript with you to registration. Please note that Special Credit students are not eligible for financial aid.


I am a former student and wish to return. Do I have to reapply to the college?

If you have not attended classes in the past year (3 semesters including summer), you must submit a new application and be approved for admission before you will be eligible to register. If you have been a student in the past 5 years, your previously submitted transcripts should still be on file. If you have been away for more than 5 years, you may be required to resubmit your transcripts.


I have applied and been admitted to the college previously but did not attend, do I have to reapply?

If you have applied and been admitted within the past 3 semesters, you will need to complete a Semester Update form in the Admissions Office. If it has been longer than a year since you were admitted, you will need to complete a new application. Applications are available online. If you have questions, please contact the Admissions Office.


Can I attend if I only earned a certificate of completion in high school?

If you earned the certificate of completion in North Carolina or received your certificate of completion in another state, you must earn your High School Equivalency prior to being accepted into a curriculum program at Forsyth Tech. If you are 18 years of age or older, you may take classes as a special credit student until the High School Equivalency has been earned. Please note: only high school graduates or High School Equivalency completers are eligible for financial aid.


I completed my high school diploma online. Is it acceptable?

Forsyth Tech will only recognize high school diplomas from regionally accredited schools, private high schools, or home schools registered with the state of North Carolina. Students not completing such a program must complete the GED® or attain an Adult High School diploma through an accredited institution. Please contact the Admissions Office at 336.734.7556 or if you have questions regarding Forsyth Tech accepting your online high school diploma.


I’m undecided about what I want to study. What can I do?

There are two career assessments that we recommend you complete prior to coming to speak to a counselor.

  1. Career Coach is a service provided by Forsyth Tech and designed to help you find a good career by providing the most current local data on wages, employment, job postings, and associated education and training.
  2. Try using the career assessment tool that is available through When you create your user ID/password, it will allow you to log in to where you can complete the assessment.

If you are still undecided after using these tools, please come to the Admissions Office and work with a counselor before you submit your application.


Does Forsyth Tech charge an application fee?

No, application to the college is free of charge.


How do I know if I qualify for in-state tuition?

Residency is no longer determined by Forsyth Tech.  All students, parents, faculty, staff, and constituents of the North Carolina Community College System should refer to the Residency website at  for more current details regarding the North Carolina Residency Determination Service, processes and required residency guidelines.


Can I attend if I did not graduate from high school?

To enroll in a degree, diploma or certificate program, you must be a high school graduate or have earned your High School Equivalency. You cannot be admitted to a curriculum program until you have earned your Adult High School diploma or your High School Equivalency. Both programs are available at our West Campus on Bolton Street. Please contact them directly at 336.734.7023 for further information or visit their webpage: Adult High School/High School Equivalency (HSE). If you are 18 years of age or older, you may take classes as a special credit student until the diploma or your High School Equivalency has been earned. Please note that only high school graduates or High School Equivalency completers are eligible for financial aid.


Where do I have my transcripts sent?

Transcripts should be mailed to the Admissions Office, Forsyth Technical Community College, 2100 Silas Creek Parkway, Winston-Salem, NC 27103. We also accept electronic transcripts from schools that use them.


I didn’t take SAT’s or ACT’s in high school. Can I still be admitted?

Yes, these tests are not required for admission. If you do not have the SAT/ACT or previous college level English and/or Math classes, you will probably need to take the North Carolina-Diagnostic Assessment and Placement tests (NC-DAP) before you will be able to register for classes. After you submit your application, the Admissions Office will notify you of any testing needs. Please be sure that you take any required tests prior to registration. Find more information on the NC-DAP here.


How can I check the status of my application?

Applications are typically processed within 1 week of being received. Please allow for that time before contacting the Admissions Office. Contact one of the Admissions Staff. Please note that each of the Admissions Staff Assistants is assigned files by alphabet. Find the individual responsible for your name and contact them via e-mail or by telephone.


Can I begin taking classes if my transcripts have not been received?

To be approved for admission to a degree, diploma or certificate program and be eligible to register, you must submit your transcripts. All students are required to meet pre-requisites for any class they wish to take. It’s always a good idea to bring at least an unofficial copy of coursework taken at another college or grade reports with you when you come to register.


Can I be admitted into Forsyth Tech with a GED®?



I’m having technical difficulties with the online application. Who can help me?

The online application is maintained through CFNC. Please contact them at 1-866-866-CFNC (1-866-866-2362).


If I need to speak with someone in Admissions, what should I do?

Admissions counselors are available on a walk-in basis and without an appointment. The Admissions Office is open 8 am – 7 pm Monday-Thursday and 8 am –3 pm on Friday. You can also contact us via email at or by calling the office at 336-734-7556.


Allied Health/Nursing Admissions:

How do I get admitted to an Allied Health or Nursing program?

All of the Allied Health and Nursing programs are considered selective enrollment. This means that there are more qualified applicants than space available. Because of this, these programs have specific minimum requirements that must be completed before an applicant will be considered for admission. These programs are highly competitive and have specific deadlines. Most will require you to complete a Mandatory Information Session. Find more information here.


Does Forsyth Tech keep a waiting list for the Allied Health and Nursing programs?

NO! Our Allied Health and Nursing programs are selective enrollment and use a competitive ranking process. If an applicant is not accepted into their program of choice, they must reapply if they wish to be considered for the next year’s program. The Medical Assisting and Therapeutic Massage programs accept students on a first completed, first accepted basis.


Can I apply to more than one selective enrollment program at a time?

No, you are only permitted to apply to one program at a time. If you are considering more than one program, we encourage you to speak with the department chairs so you can make the most informed decision as to your course of study. You may also come to the Admissions Office and speak with a counselor.


How do I get my CNA?

The Certified Nursing Assistant program is offered through our Economic and Workforce Development Division. Find more information here or contact Economic and Workforce Development at 336.734.7023.


Placement Testing:

How do I prepare for the Placement Tests?

Placement testing is an integral part of the admissions process. All applicants to degree, diploma, and certain certificate programs must take a placement examination (assessment) or qualify for a waiver as explained in the detailed information link. The assessment is not an entrance examination. The purpose of placement examinations is to determine the individual’s skill level and readiness for college-level courses. Find detailed information on placement testing here.


I took the SAT or ACT. Will I still need to take the placement test?

It depends. If you have taken the tests within the past 5 years, the scores can be used to waive placement testing. If a student scores a 500 Critical Reading, or 500 Writing (SAT), or an 18 English, or 22 Reading (ACT), the Sentence Skill and Reading placement tests are waived. A 500 Math (SAT) or 22 Math (ACT) will waive the Arithmetic and/or Algebra tests.


Can my high school GPA waive placement testing?

Forsyth Tech has implemented the new Multiple Measures for Placement state policy. If you have graduated from a North Carolina public high school within the past 5 years, with an unweighted 2.6 or higher GPA and have the appropriate 4th level of Math, your placement tests may be waived. After you submit your application and your high school transcript is received, the Admissions Office will notify you of any testing needs.


Do I have to schedule an appointment to take the placement tests?

No. Placement testing is done in the Testing Center, Room 133 of Allman Center on the Main Campus on a walk-in basis. Check-in hours are: 8:00 am – 5:30 pm Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am – 12:00 pm Friday, and 8:30 am – 11:00 am on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month. Testing is also available at other Forsyth Tech locations by appointment. Find detailed information on placement testing here.



When does registration start, and when can I register for my classes?

Information about registration can be found:

  • On the Forsyth Tech webpage here
  • On Techlink’s home page right above WebAdvisor or
  • On the Techlink Campus Calendar (under Student Life > Campus Calendar)

In addition, continuing students receive emails from the Registrar with registration information via their college email address. Students can also check with their advisor or the Deans’ offices for this information.


How do I drop/add a class during registration?

Depending upon the timeframe, students can drop/add classes online through Techlink using WebAdvisor. They can also contact their advisor, or come to designated areas during Walk-In and Late Registration times.


Where can I register for next semester?

During designated registration periods, students can register in various locations on campus and at our off campus centers depending upon their program of study, and can also register online through Techlink using WebAdvisor.



How much does it cost to go to Forsyth Tech?

Forsyth Tech receives funds from local, state and federal sources. North Carolina law (General Statute 115D) establishes the community college system’s tuition and fees, and the charges are subject to change without notice. Tuition charges are for credit hours enrolled, and the tuition rate per credit hour applies to all regularly enrolled students. This link will take you to the most current cost.


Do you have a payment plan?

Forsyth Tech is pleased to offer Payment Plan (Nelnet), a service that allows you to pay your tuition in full or through convenient monthly payments. The Payment Plan is not offered during the Summer Semester, but you can still pay in full online by selecting the button to the left. This payment method is for curriculum students only. In order to participate in the payment plan method, you must be registered for a minimum of 6 credit hours.


How do I apply for Financial Aid and/or Scholarships?

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1 of the current year you intend to enroll in college. Find complete information on Financial Aid and Scholarships here.


If I fill out the FAFSA for financial aid, do I still need to fill out an application for admissions?

  • Please note that your financial aid award will not be made until your admissions file is complete and you are accepted to the college.


Where do I go if I need help in getting my veteran’s benefits?

Student Financial Services on Main Campus in the Allman Center, Room 261. The phone number is 336.734.7235.


Where can I get information about additional Veteran’s resources?

You are welcome to visit our Veteran Resource Center in the Technology Building, Room 123 or contact them at 336.734.7510.


Can you send me a class schedule?

Our schedules are only available electronically. We no longer print copies. Access the schedule here.


Where do I go to get involved in campus activities or run for an SGA office?

The Student Activities Center housed on Main Campus in the Technology Building, Room 124 can fill you in on the many clubs and activities at Forsyth Tech. The telephone number is 336.734.7326


Can you send me a catalog?

Our catalogs are only available electronically. We no longer print copies. Access the catalog here.