Courses / Requirements
- Emergency Medical Technician Initial Courses
- Course is 260 hours long
- Cost to register for class is $261.00 (includes CAPS/TECH fees, CPR card and Insurance).
- The $5.00 CAPS fee and is nonrefundable.
- Before registering, you must successfully complete a Reading Comprehension test at an 11th grade reading level.
- Reading Comprehension testing is offered at the West Campus, Room 8 by appointment, call 336-734-7831 or at The Mazie Woodruff Center, room 106, by appointment, call 336-734-7920.
- Must bring driver’s license and social security card for test, no cost for testing
- After the reading test you can take the results to Customer Service at West Campus to register and pay for the class.
- Payment is due at time of registration.
- The uniform is black cargo pants, Forsyth Tech Shirt (available at the main campus bookstore), black close toed shoes and belt.
- BOOK – Prehospital Care 14th edition, Brady/Pearson, ISBN: 9780135379134, 013537913X and 9780135479162, 0135479169 e text
- If fee exempt, a copy of work or volunteer affiliation is required prior to registering.
**Paid law enforcement will be fee exempt ONLY if this course is deemed necessary to fulfill their job duties and will require a written statement to that effect from a superior on agency letterhead.
Summer / Fall 2022
Upon successful completion of the EMT Basic course with an 80 or better grade the student is eligible to take the state exam.
- Walk in registration – Mon – Wed 9am-5:30pm, Thur 9am -6:30pm (lunch 12:45-1:45pm), Fri 9am – 12:45pm
- Register by phone 336-734-7718, M – Th 9am – 4pm, Fri 9am – 12 noon.
Thank you for your interest in classes at Forsyth Technical Community College!
EMT Continued Certification
If you are a professional EMT, you can take classes necessary to maintain specific skills or certifications at Forsyth Tech. These classes will be fee exempt with proof of affiliation.
Courses available at Forsyth Tech are listed below. Not all courses are available each term; however, if there is enough demand, a class may be scheduled through special arrangement with the program coordinator.
- EMT Basic Initial
- EMT Basic Continuing Education
- Methodology of Instruction for Emergency Services
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Emergency Pediatric Care (EPC)
- Geriatric Education for Emergency Medical Services (GEMS)
- Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS)
- International Trauma Life Support (ITLS)
- Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS)
- Pediatric Education for the Prehospital Professional (PEPP)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
For more information or to ask about scheduling a needed course, contact:
Fire, EMS and Law working together to save lives.